Required Supplemental Parachute Cables Installed in Sting Sport Yesterday

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

drdehave

Required Supplemental Parachute Cables Installed in Sting Sport Yesterday

Post by drdehave »

Hey fellow Sting Sport and Sting S3 owners, have you installed your required supplemental GRS parachute cables yet? We just did mine yesterday. It was pretty straightforward and painless. And I felt better knowing that the GRS I just updated 2 months ago for another 10 years, isn't going to "pop" the cables if I ever need them. More of the story, including photos, is here: https://www.facebook.com/Sting-Flight-334060526751303/
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
Warmi

Re: Required Supplemental Parachute Cables Installed in Sting Sport Yesterday

Post by Warmi »

Do you even need a mechanic anymore ? :D
With so much experience working with various mechanics over all these years on your plane, going ELSA and doing it yourself would make a lot of sense .
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

I almost went that route 3 years ago when I went through the fuel tank delamination trouble. I took the courses out here, at Rainbow Aviation, and assembled the paperwork for conversion to experimental. Rainbow talked me out of it. And yes, I still need and use a good mechanic. Four eyes are always better than two, and I learned a lot yesterday :mrgreen:
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drdehave wrote:I almost went that route 3 years ago when I went through the fuel tank delamination trouble. I took the courses out here, at Rainbow Aviation, and assembled the paperwork for conversion to experimental. Rainbow talked me out of it. And yes, I still need and use a good mechanic. Four eyes are always better than two, and I learned a lot yesterday :mrgreen:
What were Rainbow's arguments against ELSA status? I went that way a year and a half ago and could not be happier with the decision. So, I'm just curious...
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Andy,...my last comment was misleading. I didn't actually have a pro/con discussion with Rainbow of the idea of converting my Sting to E-LSA. Rather, it was simply that, during their course, I finally settled firmly on the idea that, at this stage in my life and flying career, it's best for me to always have four eyes looking, instead of just my two. :roll:
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drdehave wrote:Andy,...my last comment was misleading. I didn't actually have a pro/con discussion with Rainbow of the idea of converting my Sting to E-LSA. Rather, it was simply that, during their course, I finally settled firmly on the idea that, at this stage in my life and flying career, it's best for me to always have four eyes looking, instead of just my two. :roll:
That would be my take also. I don't think I want to fly an airplane that I am the mechanic.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

drdehave wrote:it's best for me to always have four eyes looking, instead of just my two. :roll:
Then put on your glasses!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US