Winter Ops

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Winter Ops

Post by drseti »

Warmi wrote: I already have a fix for it which was pretty cheap, looks good and has been approved by the dealer.
Glad to hear that. Details?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

drseti wrote:
Warmi wrote: I already have a fix for it which was pretty cheap, looks good and has been approved by the dealer.
Glad to hear that. Details?
The same as for the other plane with the cracked canopy. Fill the join with silicone and then apply electrical tape on top. The aft canopy overlaps the lip of the fuselage and the crack will not migrate from one material to another so , since the crack already reached the edge of the plexiglass, it won’t go any further.
in terms of visuals, I will apply a nice vinyl decal to make it look like it was there on purpose
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

The fix was pretty cheap - about $100 altogether.

Below are some pictures - the original crack + the new star-themed vinyl graphic I designed to cover the crack/fix without replacing the entire back canopy.
Attachments
Orig_crak.jpg
Orig_crak.jpg (104.96 KiB) Viewed 6809 times
crack_fix2.jpg
crack_fix2.jpg (86.16 KiB) Viewed 6809 times
crack_fix1.jpg
crack_fix1.jpg (103.88 KiB) Viewed 6809 times
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Clever!

Admittedly better than a giant Bandaid or bullet hole decals.

Though the latter might have had some warped appeal!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Hehe ... my wife was suggesting something more "fancy" , along the lines of this one:

but ... nah , it falls into the same "bullet hole" graphics category ( as you mentioned ) - stuff that looks cool at first but then gets old rather fast :-)

Anyway, the design itself , as usual, is in the eye of beholder but I think for the price of the fix, I would have been hard pressed to come up with something better.