Another LOA questions (ELT) ...

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Another LOA questions (ELT) ...

Post by Warmi »

We are upgrading ELT on my Sting. Getting rid of AmeriKing , which we cannot find batteries for ( and also I know that AmeriKing is having issues with FAA ) and replacing it with ACK.

The new ELT is on the list of TL Ultralight's approved equipment so we don't need a LOA for that but , my mechanic says , because the new ELT is slightly longer and thus needs a new bracket and consequently needs to be installed in a different location , will need a separate LOA for the bracket and the location change ...
He literally told me " if you don’t want to deal with all this crap , switch to ELSA " ...

I know he knows his stuff (he has been working Rotax/Ultralights since the late 90s ) but to me it seems that since the new ELT is already on the list of approved equipment , doesn't it automatically imply that he is allowed to make whatever changes are necessary to mount the new ELT ( within reason ) ?

Man , the more I deal with this stuff , going the ELSA route seems and more appealing …
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
3Dreaming

Re: Another LOA questions (ELT) ...

Post by 3Dreaming »

I would check with Bill, and see if there is already an approval and drawings for the ACK ELT installation.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

3Dreaming wrote:I would check with Bill, and see if there is already an approval and drawings for the ACK ELT installation.
My ELT installation was for the ARTEX ELT 345.
Flight Design had my LOA, in hand, within a week. Lockwood did the install.
Excellent unit, very competitive price, same ELT Phil Lockwood installs in his AirCams, which are all over the world.

Very happy with unit.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Hi Warmi,
Since your aircraft didn't come with that ELT you either need an individual LOA or ther company needs to issue a fleet wide LOA. Either way you need the paperwork.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Yeah, we gonna follow up with Bill C and see if he has some pre-cooked paperwork for the bracket and installation - pain in the behind , if you ask me, but you got to do what you got to do ..

Thanks guys.
WDD

Post by WDD »

Warmi wrote: Man , the more I deal with this stuff , going the ELSA route seems and more appealing …

The more I read through the all the threads on this site, the more I'm getting the feeling that if I ever someday got a plane, it would have to be ELSA, and get the certificates to do the inspections and repairs my own. All of the odd regulations and extra costs for SLSA seems tough.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Same here.

Don’t complain - the LSA universe is the “Wild West” of aviation and we are getting off “easy”. :D
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

WDD wrote:
The more I read through the all the threads on this site, the more I'm getting the feeling that if I ever someday got a plane, it would have to be ELSA, and get the certificates to do the inspections and repairs my own.
I think it’s a great way to go.

Small correction: there is no “certificate” needed to do maintenance and repair on an E-LSA, just for the ability to do one’s own Annual Condition Inspections. Anyone can work on an Experimental in general.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

FastEddieB wrote:
WDD wrote:
The more I read through the all the threads on this site, the more I'm getting the feeling that if I ever someday got a plane, it would have to be ELSA, and get the certificates to do the inspections and repairs my own.
I think it’s a great way to go.

Small correction: there is no “certificate” needed to do maintenance and repair on an E-LSA, just for the ability to do one’s own Annual Condition Inspections. Anyone can work on an Experimental in general.
I agree 100% with everything Eddie said. Going ELSA was the best thing I ever did to/for my airplane. Others have different needs and opinions of course.

Also agree you don't need a repairman certificate for anything except the condition inspection.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

If one is not worried about a slight decrease in resale value or limiting potential resale to a smaller market, go for it. The market will always be smaller for those wanting E-LSA over Certified.
WDD

Post by WDD »

MrMorden wrote: Also agree you don't need a repairman certificate for anything except the condition inspection.
Am I also allowed to rebuild the engine as well? What are the limits?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

WDD wrote:
MrMorden wrote: Also agree you don't need a repairman certificate for anything except the condition inspection.
Am I also allowed to rebuild the engine as well? What are the limits?
In the eyes of the FAA rebuilding is a very specific term to describe something that is returned to new limits by the manufacturer or someone under their direction. I do believe you would be allowed to overhaul the engine, but once again specific requirements must be met to call it an overhaul. You certainly could do an IRAN on the engine, (inspect and repair as needed).
smutny

Post by smutny »

WDD wrote:
MrMorden wrote:Am I also allowed to rebuild the engine as well? What are the limits?
The short answer is, yes, you can.

Experimental only requires a certificated person to sign off on the Condition Inspection. E-AB/Exhibition/Restricted/etc.. it's an A&P, ELSA you can have an LSRM do the CI. Also with an ELSA, you also have the option to get your LSRI and do the CI. So, once a year, a person with the appropriate certification has to look at the airplane an deem it airworthy in order to fly another 12 months.

Outside of that annual CI, anyone can do anything to an Experimental aircraft. Rebuild engines? Yep, that too.

However, what you can do, does not always equate to what's wise to do.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50
drseti

Post by drseti »

smutny wrote: So, once a year, a person with the appropriate certification has to look at the airplane an deem it airworthy .
Well, technically, no. An SLSA, ELSA, E-AB, etc. can never be airworthy. By definition, airworthy means the aircraft complies with its type certificate, and is in a condition for safe operation. Unless certified, an airplane doesn't have a type certificate, thus isn't airworthy. But, it must still be in a condition for safe operation.

Conclusion: experimentals and LSAs can never be airworthy, but must be safe.

Corollary: certified aircraft can never be safe, but must be airworthy.

;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
smutny

Post by smutny »

Sigh... did it again. One of these days I'll correctly state that.
John Smutny
LSRM - A/WS/PPC/Glider
iRMT
Normandy Aircraft @ S50