Rotax vs Tempest Oil Filter

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Paul_G

Rotax vs Tempest Oil Filter

Post by Paul_G »

I recently took my Rotax 912 in for an oil change and my A&P installed a Tempest filter instead of the Rotax brand. We were aware of the recall on the Rotax brand, and his supplier (CPS) recommended the Tempest due to Rotax being out-of-stock.

I have read many differing opinions on this (and a strong opinion by Rotax). What do you think? My Rotax has 100 hours, so warranty is no longer an issue (or is it)?
Paul G
N400TL 2016 Sirius TL-3000
Chelan, WA (S10)
roger lee

Re: Rotax vs Tempest Oil Filter

Post by roger lee »

Dump the Tempest. The bypass pressure is too low. The Rotax is 18-22 psi. The anti drain back membrane isn't soft enough either and will allow drainage. The new filters are out and were within a couple of weeks. Just change the filter and keep flying. Stay away from Tempest and Champion. If you have an engine issue using these someone with the Rotax filter will get help. Someone with the off brand is totally on their own. These filters have about a $1 - $2 difference in price anymore and being cheap just isn't worth it.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
Paul_G

Post by Paul_G »

roger lee wrote:Dump the Tempest. The bypass pressure is too low. The Rotax is 18-22 psi. The anti drain back membrane isn't soft enough either and will allow drainage. The new filters are out and were within a couple of weeks. Just change the filter and keep flying. Stay away from Tempest and Champion. If you have an engine issue using these someone with the Rotax filter will get help. Someone with the off brand is totally on their own. These filters have about a $1 - $2 difference in price anymore and being cheap just isn't worth it.
Roger, Do you recommend I dump it now or next oil change? Also, if I change it, will I lose much oil making the change? The cost of another filter is not a factor... if the Tempest could do damage, I don't want it.

I'm curious if others have used Tempest for any length of time and what their experience is.
Paul G
Chelan, WA (S10)
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Tl ultralight’s own master equipment list for Sirius at http://sting.aero/wp-content/uploads/20 ... Aug-17.pdf explicitly states in bold , No Substitutes for the rotax oil filter.
I wouldn’t risk it if I were you ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Paul_G wrote:
roger lee wrote:Dump the Tempest. The bypass pressure is too low. The Rotax is 18-22 psi. The anti drain back membrane isn't soft enough either and will allow drainage. The new filters are out and were within a couple of weeks. Just change the filter and keep flying. Stay away from Tempest and Champion. If you have an engine issue using these someone with the Rotax filter will get help. Someone with the off brand is totally on their own. These filters have about a $1 - $2 difference in price anymore and being cheap just isn't worth it.
Roger, Do you recommend I dump it now or next oil change? Also, if I change it, will I lose much oil making the change? The cost of another filter is not a factor... if the Tempest could do damage, I don't want it.

I'm curious if others have used Tempest for any length of time and what their experience is.
When the new Rotax filters become available I would replace the Tempest filter, if it were me. I have heard that the new Rotax filters can be pre filled with oil, so pre fill the filter and you shouldn't loose much oil during the swap.
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

The new Rotax oil filter does not have the internal check valve. It can be prefilled. I have filled it to the top twice and let it soak in and then up half way and not lost any oil. That's prefilled enough. The problem with asking someone what their experience is with other filters tends to be they only fly 30-50 hours a year so their in a wheelchair when they finally get enough hours on to know what's going on. Then they'll blame a gearbox issue or some other issue on everything, but the filter because if they don't know any difference between oil filters how would they ever have enough knowledge to diagnose a internal complicated issue.
So will the engine run on another filter? Yes
Is that a wise move to save $1-$2? No

If it were my plane I would go ahead and just replace the filter now and never look back. You may lose about 4-6 oz. of oil.It will just be added back when you prefill the new filter. Like many of us over the years just chalk it up to your learning curve.

You need to have one of these new oil filter wrenches. :wink: :) The only one I know that fits in tight spots and takes the toughest ones off. All stainless steel.

http://ctflier.com/topic/4049-the-perfe ... ch/?page=2
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
Paul_G

Post by Paul_G »

roger lee wrote:The new Rotax oil filter does not have the internal check valve. It can be prefilled. I have filled it to the top twice and let it soak in and then up half way and not lost any oil. That's prefilled enough. The problem with asking someone what their experience is with other filters tends to be they only fly 30-50 hours a year so their in a wheelchair when they finally get enough hours on to know what's going on. Then they'll blame a gearbox issue or some other issue on everything, but the filter because if they don't know any difference between oil filters how would they ever have enough knowledge to diagnose a internal complicated issue.
So will the engine run on another filter? Yes
Is that a wise move to save $1-$2? No

If it were my plane I would go ahead and just replace the filter now and never look back. You may lose about 4-6 oz. of oil.It will just be added back when you prefill the new filter. Like many of us over the years just chalk it up to your learning curve.

You need to have one of these new oil filter wrenches. :wink: :) The only one I know that fits in tight spots and takes the toughest ones off. All stainless steel.

http://ctflier.com/topic/4049-the-perfe ... ch/?page=2
Thank you! I just ordered a new filter. I appreciate your advice and won't fly again until the new one is installed. Being a student pilot, I'm not permitted to do it myself - ugh! .... seems silly.
Paul G
Chelan, WA (S10)
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Shhhhhhhh, we won't tell. :wink:
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Paul_G wrote:Being a student pilot, I'm not permitted to do it myself - ugh! .... seems silly.
Not silly at all. Isn't the applicant's ability to safely change oil one of the things the DPE assesses during the practical exam? And isn't that in the Practical Test Standards? :?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

It also brings up the first hand experience attitude.

You know the guy (even a mechanic sometimes) who alludes to using a John Deere lawnmower fuel pump and never had a problem.

Use OEM parts or manufacture recommended replacements and you will never go wrong :)
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Jim Hardin wrote:
You know the guy (even a mechanic sometimes) who alludes to using a John Deere lawnmower fuel pump and never had a problem.
Or voltage regulator!
Use OEM parts or manufacture recommended replacements and you will never go wrong :)
Yes, the joy of going through multiple Ducati voltage regulators cannot be overstated!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
Paul_G wrote:Being a student pilot, I'm not permitted to do it myself - ugh! .... seems silly.
Not silly at all. Isn't the applicant's ability to safely change oil one of the things the DPE assesses during the practical exam? And isn't that in the Practical Test Standards? :?
Good Doctor, unless you are reading something different than me the answer is NO. An applicant should know how the oil system works, but they are not required to know how to change oil or filters. However they should know that they can change oil and filters, and in the case of a sport pilots which aircraft they can perform preventive maintenance on.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I've been a licensed pilot for 50+ years. I don't know how to change the oil and don't need to know. I do know how to check the oil and add oil if needed.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I think drseti was just being a bit , shall we say, humorous in his original post ... I am sure there are questions regarding oil change just not on that particular (Sport Pilot ) checkride :-)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:Good Doctor, unless you are reading something different than me the answer is NO. An applicant should know how the oil system works, but they are not required to know how to change oil or filters. However they should know that they can change oil and filters, and in the case of a sport pilots which aircraft they can perform preventive maintenance on.
I think you missed my cynical point, Tom. Of course there is no requirement that the applicant know how to change oil. The irony is that, after the Practical test, the newly minted Sport Pilot is empowered by the FARs to change oil, and do other preventive maintenance on a plane he or she owns. The previous day, the FARs forbade the same aircraft owner from doing so. So, obviously, there was something in the passing of the Practical test that magically endowed the applicant with the requisite skills, no?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US