Rotax vs Tempest Oil Filter

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Wm.Ince

Re: Rotax vs Tempest Oil Filter

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:54 pm
Wm.Ince wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:14 am
It's a no brainer.
Bill, are you saying that folks who go for the cheapest filter have no brains? ;)
Well . . . the better choice can be made without a brain. :mrgreen:
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:54 pm
Wm.Ince wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:14 am
It's a no brainer.
Bill, are you saying that folks who go for the cheapest filter have no brains? ;)
Actually I think it is the other way around. Those with a brain coose the Rotax filter, which also happens to be about $5 dollars less expensive than the Tempest.
Ergo1

Post by Ergo1 »

With the Tempest oil filter I’m seeing at least a 15 degree jump in oil temps. Before installing the Tempest and using the Rotax, my oil temp was @180 and now with the Tempest it’s closer to 200 degrees. Don’t know if it really means anything, except that in my old plane a Cirrus, I used different oil filters and never saw an appreciable change in oil temps. FWIW