Mixture won't shut down my engine.

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

MarkP

Mixture won't shut down my engine.

Post by MarkP »

I just purchased a 1946 Ercoupe with the C85 engine. When I try to shut it down, the mixture knob will slow it down, but rarely shuts the engine completely down. I've tried it at different RPMs, but it still only shuts it down occasionally. Does anyone have experience with this? I'm very mechanical, but don't have much experience on airplanes. I'm thinking the cable stop may have slipped and not pulling the lever all the way back. Your thoughts???

Mark
3Dreaming

Re: Mixture won't shut down my engine.

Post by 3Dreaming »

The Ercoupe with the C-85 most likely has a Stromberg carburetor. The mixture system for these does not have an idle cut off like a Marvel Schebler carbs. It will not cause the engine to stop when pulled to the lean position. Here is a link that explains how the Stromberg carb work. http://veteranflyg.se/wordpress/wp-cont ... ecrets.pdf
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

What 3D said, mine has the Stromberg, I shut it down with the mag switch or by turning off the fuel supply.
MarkP

Post by MarkP »

I read some on that earlier... thought that might be the case. I'll pull the cowl this weekend and take a look.

THANKS!!!!!!!!