Anyone know anything about Antonov AN-2 Engines (Shvetsov ASh 62)?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Bushido

Anyone know anything about Antonov AN-2 Engines (Shvetsov ASh 62)?

Post by Bushido »

Hi everyone!

My name is Anton, and I'm new to the forums! Nice to meet you all :)

I was wondering, does anyone in here know anything about the Shvetsov ASh-62 9 cyl radial engine that is used in, among other aircraft, the Antonov AN-2? Or maybe just has some general knowledge about large radial engines?

Thing is, I've been offered to buy an engine from an AN-2 for what is basically the price of the scrap metal in the engine, and I would very much like to learn more about the engine type as such so that one day I might do something fun with this engine! I'm thinking static display engine for now, possibly put it in a land based vehicle sometime in the future... Given that I can get it started at all of course :D

I should probably mention that I'm not a mechanic, just a pilot. And I usually fly Helicopters (not piston engined ones), so that's probably not gonna help. All I have, experience wise, is some general know-how regarding cars and motorcycles and so on, as well as some baser metal fabricating experience such as welding, casting, milling, lathe working and blacksmithing. Anyhow, I figured this aircraft engine might be a fun side project to care for, so if anyone has some hints and tips for me I'd appreciate it hugely! :)

For those of you who don't know, this is the engine type in question:

Again, nice to meet you all!

Regards,
Anton.
drseti

Re: Anyone know anything about Antonov AN-2 Engines (Shvetsov ASh 62)?

Post by drseti »

No knowledge of this particular engine, Anton, but my limited general experience with round engines is that they're designed to sling oil. In fact, if they don't, it means you forgot to put oil in!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Bushido

Post by Bushido »

drseti wrote:No knowledge of this particular engine, Anton, but my limited general experience with round engines is that they're designed to sling oil. In fact, if they don't, it means you forgot to put oil in!
Haha, thanks for the input sir! An acquaintance of mine told me, when I told him about my plans to buy this engine, that "She's a thirsty one, so make sure to give her a big tank. And don't forget to put a drop of petrol in her as well" :lol:
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Perfect engine swap for my CTSW.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

BTW, I was surprised the fellow in the second video started the engine with no prop installed...with no load at all, that is usually a recipe for quickly overspeeding an aircraft engine. But maybe he didn't know that. :)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Bushido

Post by Bushido »

MrMorden wrote:BTW, I was surprised the fellow in the second video started the engine with no prop installed...with no load at all, that is usually a recipe for quickly overspeeding an aircraft engine. But maybe he didn't know that. :)
I agree, not only out of load aspect but also no cooling factor what so ever... I personally don't intend to run my engine this way, I will at least get a small cooling fan type prop :)
yak-aviation

Post by yak-aviation »

I know this is an old thread. I’m looking for a n/s ASh-62 for student training purposes. The engine could be a bit damaged and does not need any ancillary items, documentation or even need to be clean. Please get in touch if anyone knows of something that might fit the bill. Budget is limited of course, but around €5-6k tops. Many thanks, Alex