ADS-B Sign-off

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

ADS-B Sign-off

Post by dstclair »

I have a Skyguard ADS-B UAT transmitter that has the SDA and SIL values set to legal values (until 2020) to wake-up ground stations so I receive traffic on my GDL-39. It was installed by the manufacturers US distributor and is fully approved. Skyguard has an upgraded unit that is 2020 approved by the FAA and I can get an LOA from my manufacturer for the upgrade. The new unit is identical to the old and fits in the same bracket as the old one with all connections being identical. Once installed this would make me 2020 compliant after the required flight test. There is a log book entry for the original installation. My question -- can I actually do the swap out myself and make the logbook entry for the flight test? Or do I technically need an appropriately certified mechanic to do or supervise the work?
dave
3Dreaming

Re: ADS-B Sign-off

Post by 3Dreaming »

I will make the assumption that your airplane has an airworthiness certificate in the special light sport category, and that you are at least a sport pilot. If that assumption is correct, then your answer is in CFR 43 appendix A (c) preventive maintenance. If what you want to do is listed there then yes you can do the swap. If it is not listed then it needs a sign off from an appropriately rated repairman, mechanic, or repair station.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Thanks -- should've looked at the regs first. My reading of (c)31 looks like I'm good.
dave
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The more I thought about it, as a sport or private pilot you are only allowed to do preventive maintenance. Changing from one piece of equipment to a different type would be an alteration. An alteration is not something you are allowed to do as a pilot. I think the change will also need to be noted in the aircrafts equipment list.

Also the LOA from the manufacture should also list the minimum certification required by the installer, owner, LSRM, mechanic, ect.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Tom -- Hypothetically, would the same process be required if I sent in my SL-40 for a minor repair and Garmin decided it was best to send me back a refurbished unit? Would a PP owner be allowed to slide it in the bracket and tighten the two screws?
dave
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

If you are replacing a SL40 with a different SL40 then you have not altered anything it is still a SL40. In this case, yes you are OK. If you replace the SL40 with a different radio that slides into the same slot you have altered the airplane and its equipment list. A PP is allowed to perform preventive maintenance, and the last scenario is an alteration. The PP wouldn't be able to sign it off.