LSA Repairman Maintenance Training course

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

BRCC

LSA Repairman Maintenance Training course

Post by BRCC »

I am pleased to announce Blue Ridge Community College (Weyers Cave, VA) will be offering courses for Light Sport Repairman this summer and are scheduled from 12-30 June 2017.
Registration will be held from March 20th – April 22nd, but feel to call for details or to have your name placed on the list so we can gauge interest.
General information is located at https://sites.google.com/a/email.vccs.e ... ight-sport
Classes are taught at the Weyers Cave campus and labs are held at our AMT hangar located at the Shenandoah Regional Airport (SHD).

For further information or questions please feel free to contact me.

Keith Dennis
Instructional Assistant – AMT Program
Blue Ridge Community College
43 Aviation Circle, Suite 101
Hangar 4 East
Weyers Cave, VA 24486
Office (540) 453-2508
[email protected]
azsportpilot

Re: LSA Repairman Maintenance Training course

Post by azsportpilot »

interesting... I thought that Rainbow Aviation was the only one offering the 120 hour LSRM course and certification

are there others offering this too?

please list if known, thanks
John Sarra CFI-S
1946 Aeronca Chief

-Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left one up there!
BRCC

Post by BRCC »

azsportpilot wrote:interesting... I thought that Rainbow Aviation was the only one offering the 120 hour LSRM course and certification

To the best of our knowledge there are only two locations offering the 120 hour LSRM course:

Rainbow Aviation, located on the west coast, is the most well-known and offer the course several times a year.

Blue Ridge Community College offers 120 hour LSRM class once every summer. We are an approved Part 147 Aviation Maintenance School located south of Harrisonburg, Virginia, at the Shenandoah Regional Airport.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

azsportpilot wrote:interesting... I thought that Rainbow Aviation was the only one offering the 120 hour LSRM course and certification

It might be worth noting that taking the training will not allow you to do any more to the Aeronca than you can already.
azsportpilot

Post by azsportpilot »

3Dreaming wrote:It might be worth noting that taking the training will not allow you to do any more to the Aeronca than you can already.
good point and well worth noting, I was aware of this..... but there may be some folks out there that are confusing the standard category "LSA compliant" vintage birds with actual SLSA/ELSA aircraft

seems obvious since these are antique factory built certified planes....... I think the area where some LSRM wanna-bees might get confused would be the E-AB planes that are "LSA compliant".... especially as it pertains to Annual Inspections

you could have 2 seemingly identical Quicksilvers with Rotax 503's in a hangar, one is E-AB and requires an A&P whereas the other is an ELSA requiring either an LSRM or A&P....... or an owner holding an LSRI for that matter
John Sarra CFI-S
1946 Aeronca Chief

3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I am an A&P with inspection authorization. Last year I developed a presentation for the IA renewal seminar. I had offered up myself as a presenter, but was looked over. It is not easy to gain a true understanding of the maintenance requirements without doing quite a bit of research. IMO EAA created much of the misunderstanding by their simplification of the new rules. A good example is your statement of the old airplanes being LSA compliant. They are not only compliant they are in fact LSA by definition. The definition in CFR 1.1 makes no mention of how the airplanes airworthiness certificate was issued.
azsportpilot

Post by azsportpilot »

I may have answered my own question...... sort of

On the FAA website I found a list of the approved LSRM/LSRI training centers..... there are 12

Only 2 offer the 120hr LSRM course. (others are just LSRI)

So it seems there are just 2 functioning 120hr LSRM schools

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/lig ... stings.pdf
John Sarra CFI-S
1946 Aeronca Chief

MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I did update the wrong thread. Sorry!
Last edited by MrMorden on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

MrMorden wrote:BTW, this course has been moved to the weekend of the 22nd, to accommodate the Easter weekend.
Andy, I think you picked the wrong thread to update.
BRCC

Post by BRCC »

I'm receiving quite a few calls asking for information regarding our course. I'll be out of the office for the rest of the week, but, if you have any questions regarding course content please call 540-453-2306 and ask for Fred.

I'll check in once or twice the rest of this week if you want to comment in this thread.
BRCC

Post by BRCC »

Still plenty of seats open. Call today, operators are standing by!
BRCC

Post by BRCC »

As of yesterday we had seven people signed up for the class, so it's a definite go!
shanmoon

Post by shanmoon »

Drat! I wish I has seen this sooner, I would have signed up for it. I hope you guys hold this next year as well! I was planning to go to Rainbow Aviation for the LSA MT course, but I would much rather go to your location as it is within reasonable driving distance!
BRCC

Post by BRCC »

shanmoon wrote:Drat! I wish I has seen this sooner, I would have signed up for it. I hope you guys hold this next year as well! I was planning to go to Rainbow Aviation for the LSA MT course, but I would much rather go to your location as it is within reasonable driving distance!
It is my intention to work my butt off every year to make sure we offer this class! If you'd like to send me your email I'll put you on our prospective list and contact you when we start planning for next year's class.
BRCC

Post by BRCC »

We are in the second week of classes and things are going well. We have started a list of prospective students and already have requests for information regarding the 2018 LSARM course. :D

We have seven students and they hail from Florida, North Carolina, Georgia, Pennsylvania, and Virginia...that's a pretty good representation!