Rotax carb heat?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: Rotax carb heat?

Post by 3Dreaming »

dstclair wrote:Do the Tecnam's have something like Skydrive full-time carb heat system?
The 2 that I have worked on do not.
MackAttack

Re: Rotax carb heat?

Post by MackAttack »

I can't speak about Tecnams with a 912ULS, but the 912iS models don't have carbs so no carb heat. The 914 turbo has the Bings but doesn't have an inter cooler, so the waste heat goes directly into the carburetor, keeping it nice and warm. Therefore, no carb heat on the 914 Tecnams. I believe the same is true of the 912ULS models because they do something with the waste heat.

Short answer is that on the P2008 and Astore, I have not seen carb heat. However, on some of the older aircraft (P2002/Sierra/Bravo or P92) those may have carb heat.

Cheers