ELT On?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

ELT On?

Post by designrs »

My Ameri-King AK-451 transponder seemed to have switched itself on in the hangar today!
I'm phoned the tower and asked if they received the ELT signal. They said no.
Possibly it was displaying an error code... but it really seemed to be "ON".
It is very weird as the switches are very well protected from inadvertent activation.
Can a ELT signal transmit through a metal hangar?
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
drseti

Re: ELT On?

Post by drseti »

Probably not. Especially if it is grounded, the hangar makes a good Faraday cage. Remember, if it really was on, to check (or maybe replace) the batteries.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Could you hear it on 121.5?

BTW, mine got new batteries just yesterday. Handy that they're standard "D" cells, albeit a specific Duracell part # which Home Depot had.

In the course I took in order to do my own annuals, we covered operational ELT tests, which involve smacking it pretty hard in the direction of travel indicated on it to verify activation. Wondering if everyone does that as part of the annual?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

I had one trigger on in flight about 20 years ago, coming home from Dayton Hamvention with a heavy 17" VGA monitor in the baggage compartment. It shifted in flight and hit the switch. I heard a signal on 121.5, told ATC, they asked me to advise losing the signal. When it never got weaker, i figured it out, confessed to ATC, and continued home with it blaring. Replaced the batteries immediately after that flight (and invested in a baggage net).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

As an aside, when I had my Sky Arrow converted to Experimental, the DAR caught a discrepancy - I had no remote panel installed for my AmerKing ELT, which is located under the pilot's seat - reachable but out of view.

Sure enough, the Installation manual makes clear that the remote panel is NOT optional, and is required per the STC. My dealer had a spare remote, I had an empty spot in the panel, and installation was relatively straightforward.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

FastEddieB wrote: Sure enough, the Installation manual makes clear that the remote panel is NOT optional, and is required per the STC.
Certified mechanics please weigh in but an STC is for a type certified aircraft and an S-LSA is not type certified. ASTM and/or your manufacturer would need to define the need for the remote panel. Right?

BTW -- I'm not saying one shouldn't have a remote panel. Just that an STC is not applicable.
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

Since Eddie's is an ELSA, the installation of a remote panel would be entirely optional. Still a good idea, though
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Since Eddie's is an ELSA, the installation of a remote panel would be entirely optional. Still a good idea, though
That is not right. The requirement for having a ELT is under CFR 91.207, and it requires that installations after June 21, 1995 meet TSO C-91a or later TSO.
The TSO requires that there should be a remote switch/indicator in plain view of the pilot per the TSO.

I also find that many mechanics take care of ELT battery replacement, but often forget to take care of the remote battery replacement. In most cases it is 8 years for a lithium battery and 3 for a alkaline battery.
Last edited by 3Dreaming on Tue May 03, 2016 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

dstclair wrote:
FastEddieB wrote: Sure enough, the Installation manual makes clear that the remote panel is NOT optional, and is required per the STC.
Certified mechanics please weigh in but an STC is for a type certified aircraft and an S-LSA is not type certified. ASTM and/or your manufacturer would need to define the need for the remote panel. Right?

BTW -- I'm not saying one shouldn't have a remote panel. Just that an STC is not applicable.
You are correct sir.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

As for the ELT going off I had a call one Thanksgiving evening about a ELT going off. It was a 121.5 ELT. The airplane was in a metal hangar, and the signal had been picked up by satellite. If your 406 ELT was going off, and it had been received by the satellite, you would have gotten a call. That is assuming you have it registered like you are required to do.