Pre-buy questions

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Cluemeister

Pre-buy questions

Post by Cluemeister »

Hello again! Some of you know I have been looking into buying a plane prior to completing my training. I've narrowed my choices down to a small group, and have a few questions about a pre-buy examination. I have read some of Dr. Paul's writings on the subject, (thank you!) and here are my questions for those of you have been through the process:

- How far a radius from the plane's location would you search for a pre buy service?
- Would you purposely leave out an annual as part of the examination?
- How important is it for the examiner to know your specific make/model?
- Would you or have you flown an examiner to the plane instead of the other way around?
- What would you do differently about the pre buy, and what did you do correctly?

Any and all feedback and other thoughts appreciated!
designrs

Re: Pre-buy questions

Post by designrs »

Distance: Transportation expenses are nominal compared to the purchase price of the aircraft. I'd send whoever I trust most for pre-buy... OR use a lesser known resource for a shorter pre-pre-buy, just to rule out any readily apparent major disqualifications.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I've heard different takes on the annual part.

An annual should not serve as a pre-buy. A pre-buy should be a bit more comprehensive.

But as long as the plane is getting opened up for the pre-buy inspection, it has always seemed logical to me to go ahead and treat it as an annual as well. Spending $1,000 or so is money well spent if it turns up something major. If it doesn't, a fresh annual is nice to have, regardless.

That's what I did when I bought my Tiger. The owner allowed me to fly the plane from SW FL to Opa Locka on the east coast for the inspection. My heart sank when the IA presented me with a three page list of discrepancies - something like 31 items, IIRC. But at the same time, he said it was a nice plane and except for a couple items everything on the list was quite minor. Anyway, bought it and it served me well for over a decade.

It definitely helps if the mechanic is familiar with the type, but this may be difficult with some of the rarer breeds. If I was buying a CT, Roger Lee would be my guy. For an Evektor, I'd seek out Prof Shuch. But most of the systems on an LSA are fairly straightforward, so any A & P , IA or LSRM should be able to handle an inspection. On a legacy LSA like an Ercoupe, I think type-specific knowledge and experience would be almost essential.

Good luck in your search, regardless!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I manage a small airport. I am a mechanic and flight instructor. As the person who own and runs the business here on the airport it is hard for me to get away to do pre buy inspections.

My suggestion to you is find the mechanic that will be working on your new purchase.

Talk with them about the purchase. Ask if they are willing to travel and how far?

When you find the airplane you think you want go and look at it without the mechanic and see if is really the one for you.

Next figure out what it will cost to have your mechanic go look at the airplane.

My recommendation is to offer that amount, and maybe a little more to the current owner to have them bring the airplane to your mechanic at his home location. That is where your mechanic will be the most comfortable and his tools are there. Be clear that this is a deposit that comes off the purchase price of the airplane if you buy, and it is theirs to keep if you don't. This works out fair for all parties envolved, if the airplane is within a reasonable distance 500 miles or less.

If it is all the way across the country then you will need to find a mechanic closer to where the airplane is, but I would still recomen the same basic method.

Never make a non refundable deposit on a airplane where you have to go to the airplane. I have been along on 2 different long rides to look at and pick up a airplane where the buyer lost money not only on the trip, but money put down on the airplane. One was a project airplane and the owner didn't even show up, and they lost the whole purchase price which had been paid up front. The other was a flying airplane that was not airworthy. They did refund some of the deposit, but not all.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Agreed. It's very worth seeking out a pre-buy from someone VERY familiar with make and model. All planes have their unique trouble spots, service bulletins, and areas of extra concern.

Rotax is Rotax, but every manufacturer installs the motor a little differently.
Of course airframes are significantly different.

Familiarity makes work much faster to assemble, disassemble, and inspect. Less time and more items inspected thoroughly.
designrs

Post by designrs »

I'd favor a local Rotax / LSA mechanic for an inexpensive "quick look" first to give you a good preliminary evaluation. An owner/instructor at a LSA flight school familiar with make & model might also be helpful for a first look.

The horror stories are endless:
One aircraft was advertised as "The best maintained and nicest (insert brand / model here) you will ever find!" The potential buyer gave a full purchase check to his instructor / LSA mechanic, paid hundreds to send him out there, and told him to "Go buy this plane!" Unfortunately, the mechanical condition and maintence was very poor. IT WAS SO BAD that the owner was actually afraid to get in the plane for a demo flight. Needless to say, they didn't buy it.