Rotax and Dynon Service In Florida / Southern Georgia

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Rotax and Dynon Service In Florida / Southern Georgia

Post by designrs »

Can anyone recommend service options for Rotax and Dynon in Florida or Southern Georgia? Of course there is the great Lockwood Aviation, but I'm interested in other options as well. Surprisingly I'm not even finding good resources for Dynon service centers. It's so surprising as Florida is such a popular aviation state. Suggestions?
drseti

Re: Rotax and Dynon Service In Florida / Southern Georgia

Post by drseti »

You already know my preference, Richard, but I'll put it out here for others. I've had nothing but good results dealing with Lockwood.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

Looking for something a little closer to Northeast Florida.
Can't believe there are not more here.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Sebring is maybe an hour flight from you, Richard. You fly that far for a burger, so why not for maintenance? ;)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Richard,

There is a Vans Service Center at:-

Hawk Aviation Maintenance Services, Inc.
Calhoun, GA
Tom B. David Airport (CZL)
http://www.hawkav.com
706-659-4254

I haven't personally used them as I have a Rotax certified mechanic about 30 minutes flight time from my field but they are listed by Vans along with Lockwood and some others farther afield including US Sport in Denton TX who are Sport Cruiser dealers of course.

My guy is based out of Twin Lakes airpark near Aiken SC. Not sure how far away from you that is? its about 190nm from KAIK to KJAX.

I have been using Dana for most of the time since I bought my airplane and he does oil changes (every 50 hours now since I now use 93 non-ethanol virtually exclusively) and he's helped with SBs like the recent carb float debacle and he's very fair on pricing and will fly/drive to me if I really needed it.

Agree with Paul, a fairly short trip to Lockwood is worth it if you get qualified Rotax service. For me its a 4 hour trip.
I think there is a Rotax service shop in Wilmington NC and the guys at Just Aircraft in Walhalla can do Rotax.

Once you dig around you can find Rotax qualified shops but they're not as widespread yet as other GA shops. Some guys 'can' work on them but I'd avoid them. Of course if you're that way inclined you can take the service courses and do a lot of the routine service yourself and then fly a farther distance to schedule annuals etc. I've decided not to do the course myself yet due to time, apathy and the closeness of my mechanic to my field.

Don't if this is of any help to you?
designrs

Post by designrs »

Lockwood is two hours away from me, and I'm evaluating closer options.
Especially for persistent problems.
Thank you for the referrals!
Parker

Post by Parker »

There is a certified Rotax guy at Metter, GA about 70 miles west of Savannah, and one in Eufala, AL just across the Georgia line.