Engine won't start

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: Engine won't start

Post by 3Dreaming »

I think the ignition upgrade kit that you linked to is no longer available from Rotax, at least not at the special pricing shown in the link.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

3Dreaming wrote:I think the ignition upgrade kit that you linked to is no longer available from Rotax, at least not at the special pricing shown in the link.

I spoke to someone at Lockwood today and they told me they had them in stock at that price ... but she also seemed a bit confused if the "kit" contained 1 or 2 modules.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

BrianL99 wrote:
At the suggestion of Bill Canino, we also tried switching the ignition modules. Well, not exactly "switching" the modules, we just switched the connections. This didn't make any difference. Under normal circumstances, can't one properly operating module start the engine? So this would indicate that both modules are bad?
Yeah, if one dies, the plane will still start normally on the remaining starter circuit. It's only when both starter circuits fail that the airplane won't start. At that point switching one failed module for the other failed module doesn't really help. :lol:

If you can find the soft start upgrade kit including both modules for the ~$1000 price, snatch it up. I think they are getting hard to find, and as you noted it's half the cost of the individual modules.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

BrianL99 wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:I think the ignition upgrade kit that you linked to is no longer available from Rotax, at least not at the special pricing shown in the link.

I spoke to someone at Lockwood today and they told me they had them in stock at that price ... but she also seemed a bit confused if the "kit" contained 1 or 2 modules.
If they have the kit snatch it up. I was told by the Midwest Rotax distributor last September that Rotax was doing away with the special pricing for the kit.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

So I ordered the "kit" from Lockwood today ... they had 8 kits in stock.

I also talked with one of their Tech guys, who told me I could be just about 100% certain I needed new Modules, if the "ice bag" cure worked.

I thought the modules were "plug and play", about apparently there's some "wiring" necessary? I suppose I'll find out tomorrow, when the modules show up.

$974 for (2) is a lot better than $1000 each.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

One extra wire needs to be run from each connector to the starter solenoid. That's it.

There's a pdf somewhere on this site with the instructions - it's pretty straightforward.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

I'll search for it.

Thanks Eddie!

Can't find the .pdf. Does anyone have a clue where it might be?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The kit will come with the parts for the connectors and instructions, just add wire and a piggy back spade. To make the crimps you should have a Molex type crimper.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Is there a way to test the modules? In other words, force the engine to start on one module, then the other?

All the failures have made me paranoid, and I don't want to have mine fail when the two module upgrade kit is no longer available...
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

Lockwood can test them for you.

Just speculation on my part, but it seems you should be able to disconnect them one at a time & try to start the engine on each one.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

MrMorden wrote:Is there a way to test the modules? In other words, force the engine to start on one module, then the other?

All the failures have made me paranoid, and I don't want to have mine fail when the two module upgrade kit is no longer available...
Andy,

Rather than unplugging the modules...

How about putting your switch in the #1 position (grounding IGN2) and starting by shorting the big terminals on the starter solenoid or just providing 12v to the small terminal. Then do the same thing with the switch in the #2 position.

CAUTION: I would not attempt this without a second person in the pilot's seat.

I'm lucky in that my starter is separate from my two IGN switches, which are simple toggles. But starting on one or the other once in a while does seem to make sense.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]