New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

roger lee

New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4

Post by roger lee »

The new formula changed the wear additive package (increased the levels of anti-wear materials) and the most significant is a change of the base oil used. This is now a custom formula for Rotax and not anything like the motorcycle blend that they started with. It took more than 4 years of testing in Rotax engines. I think it was 8 blends they tested long term in flight school engines back at the factory that all ran up to TBO. They then selected the best one of the batch."

http://www.transair.co.uk/sp+AeroShell- ... s+2675CASE

"Thomas Uhr, General Manager BRP-Powertrain said, “The collaboration of BRP-Rotax with Shell goes back to 2004. Our decision to work with the AeroShell team on the development of the new formulation for AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 was based on the benefits the new formulation would provide to our customers. This joint development is supported by 40 years of Rotax aircraft engines, 25 years and more than 50.000 engines produced within the Rotax 912/914 engines with more than 45 million hours of flight."
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Re: New Aero Shell Sport Plus 4

Post by drseti »

Thanks for the link, Roger. I have two cases on order from oil-store.com (though back ordered 2 weeks).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

The picture shown on the oil-store.com web site is a bottle of the old AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4. The "new" AeroShell Oil Sport Plus 4 comes in a red bottle. Are they selling the new stuff or the old stuff or is there no difference?
Ernie
CFI, LSRM-A
designrs

Post by designrs »

I suppose that there is no problem adding (mixing) the new formula to the old to "top off" between oil changes?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Ernie, they'll be selling the new stuff as soon as it comes in (hence the 2 week delay on my order). Yes, they are different. Richard, yes you can mix them, although I would be highly surprised if your engine required any oil between changes.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:I would be highly surprised if your engine required any oil between changes.
That's what I was just thinking. I have never had to add a drop between changes, and don't know of anybody who has had to do so on a 912 unless they were leaking oil from somewhere.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
designrs

Post by designrs »

I add about a quarter of a quart every 30 hours to keep the dipstick level in the upper end.
This is with consistent burping... and seeing the oil level trend decline very slowly.
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

The new Aero Shell has been out for a month or two. It has been at my field. It has been in short supply because I think the UK Shell wound down the old production of Aero Shell to clear the stocks going worldwide and has tried to ramp up with the new Aero Shell, but have dropped behind in orders. They are backlogged and trying to play catch up.

Andy,
I'm going to go out on a limb and bet you case you got last week is red.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
designrs

Post by designrs »

I probably don't HAVE to add oil.
The level is still at least halfway up the dipstick level area after 75 hours.

To the best of my knowledge I believe that I am being thorough and consistent with burping.
Maybe I'm only partially burping??? LOL

Still no harm right?
If oil were overfilled slightly it would just come out the drainhose right?
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

designrs wrote:I probably don't HAVE to add oil.
If you are trying to maintain oil at the top of the range, I can see adding a tiny bit now and then. If my oil is anywhere on the flat of the stick, I go fly. By oil change time it's usually at the midpoint on the flat, so if I were trying to keep it at the top like you do I might add a bit.

In an environment where you are the only one flying the airplane, burping before each flight isn't really necessary. I check the oil for the first flight of the day, and if it's anywhere on the flat I know burping it will only raise the level. So I call it good and fly. Sometimes if the airplane has sat a couple of days or more, the oil level will be just below the flat. Then I burp and re-check to confirm plenty of oil.

When you share the airplane with a partner, or are renting, burping each time to get a true oil level is probably a good practice.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

designrs wrote:I probably don't HAVE to add oil.

To the best of my knowledge I believe that I am being thorough and consistent with burping.
Maybe I'm only partially burping??? LOL

Still no harm right?
If oil were overfilled slightly it would just come out the drainhose right?
While Rotax says you can go 100 hours between oil changes if using no lead fuel most people in the field change at 50 hours. Personally I wouldn't consider going past 50 hours unless I were flying a 100 hours every 3-4 months.
Last edited by 3Dreaming on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Andy, while I may not always burp the engine I will pull it through at least 4-5 compressions or more to make sure I don't have hydraulic lock.
designrs

Post by designrs »

MrMorden wrote:If you are trying to maintain oil at the top of the range, I can see adding a tiny bit now and then. If my oil is anywhere on the flat of the stick, I go fly. By oil change time it's usually at the midpoint on the flat, so if I were trying to keep it at the top like you do I might add a bit.
My experience is exactly the same.
Running MOGAS.
Think I will do the 50 hour oil change anyway... but yes I do fly a lot of hours!

:)
Last edited by designrs on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

3Dreaming wrote:Andy, while I may not always burp the engine I will pull it through at least 4-5 compressions or more to make sure I don't have hydraulic lock.
I burp warm after pushing it in the hangar and related post-flight chores.
Then when I come in the next day dipstick gives a good read.
Still, I pull the prop through 8 to 12 blades before flight.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

The 912ULS2 in my Sky Arrow has always used some oil.

Early on, it was about 1/3 quart every 6 hours or so. Someone opined it was the excessive foaming of the Valvoline I was using, and when I went to Pennzoil, and later to AeroShell, it went down markedly.

Also, burping the engine after each flight and checking it then seems to have helped get consistent readings.

Still, now its maybe 1/3 qt between changes when it gets down to the lower third of the flats - especially before a cross country.

My last oil change was at 27 hours, done early as part of the annual - I definitely need to fly more!

Is my consumption related to my slightly low compressions? Who knows? I also lose a few drops from a tiny untraceable leak but I don't think that could account for my usage.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]