5Yr hose replacement - No longer Required?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

bottleworks

5Yr hose replacement - No longer Required?

Post by bottleworks »

(I'm gone. Everything deleted! Can't stand the ignorant data spread here).
Last edited by bottleworks on Fri May 08, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrianL99

Re: 5Yr hose replacement - No longer Required?

Post by BrianL99 »

bottleworks wrote:I bought an Allegro last month. When the mechanic did a pre-buy inspection we talked about doing the 5 year hose replacement. He claimed that Rotax retracted that schedule and now states to only replace hoses as needed. I haven't found anything backing this up.

Is this true?
I just did the rubber replacement on my Sting. As far as I know, the 5 year rubber replacement SB is still in effect. I suspect you may not be required to do it if you're flying as Experimental.
bottleworks

Post by bottleworks »

Last edited by bottleworks on Fri May 08, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Rotax still requires replacement of all rubber (hoses, carb sockets, and carb diaphragms) every five years, though it's not legally binding. On an SLSA, service bulletins are not required, even if the manufacturer marks them "Mandatory". Safety Directives, OTOH, have the same steength of law as Airworthiness Directives do for certified aircraft. (Some manufacturers call them Safety Alerts or Safety Bulletins, but I interpret these as being misnamed Safety Directives). Rotax has not chosen to issue a Safety Directive for the five year rubber, so you can get aeay with not doing it, if you choose.

However, I routinely see rubber degrading at the five year point, and you can't tell from the outside - you have to pull the hoses (and at that point, you might as well just put on new ones).

In addition, if there's ever an accident, you can be sure there'll be a lawsuit. When juries (who don't know an FAR from a hole in the ground) hear "the owner had not complied with a Mandatory Service Bulletin", how do you think they're going to find? (Hint: the same way they do when they hear "the pilot had not even filed a flight plan".)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
bottleworks

Post by bottleworks »

Last edited by bottleworks on Fri May 08, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The only part of hose replacement that Rotax backed away from is for Teflon hoses. Teflon hoses are to be replaced on condition or TBO. For most this hose is the red/orange colored hose that splits the fuel to the carbs.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:Rotax still requires replacement of all rubber (hoses, carb sockets, and carb diaphragms) every five years, though it's not legally binding. On an SLSA, service bulletins are not required, even if the manufacturer marks them "Mandatory".
Does that mean the recent Rotax SB about checking carb float bowl weights is not required, but merely "recommended"?

The LSA rules are pretty murky as to what is "required" and what is just manufacturer recommendation.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote:Does that mean the recent Rotax SB about checking carb float bowl weights is not required, but merely "recommended"?
No, I'm pretty sure that one was a Safety Directive (therefore like an AD).

The LSA rules are pretty murky as to what is "required" and what is just manufacturer recommendation.
That's why the FAA has had to modify other FARs. A case in point is 91.417(a)(2), amended in 2010 to add "or safety directive" after the word AD.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote: No, I'm pretty sure that one was a Safety Directive (therefore like an AD).
Ah, I didn't have it in front of me to check the language.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I don't think Rotax issues Safety Directives. Safety Directives come from the aircraft manufacturer, and they can require compliance with a Rotax service bulletin. An aircraft manufacturer can make the 5 year hose change mandatory by issuing a safety directive.
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Rotax doesn't issue Safety Directives. They only issue Service Bulletins and call them mandatory. For the Austrians those are like Safety Directives, but in the US aren't legally binding under our rules. A safety Directive would be legally mandatory because it means there is an in flight safety issue. Even though Rotax says mandatory they aren't legally binding so long as it is under a Service Bulletin title.

Rotax only issues:
Alert Service Bulletins
Service Bulletins
Service Instructions
Service Letters

Just because Rotax list use the term Service Bulletin and the FAA may say they aren't legally binding due to language you would be some where in the foolish category not to pay attention and follow these. Of course there are several who want to go to ELSA just so they don't have to follow any rules for their own safety. Rotax has good good reasons to post them and they don't pull them out of a hat.

The float bulletin was posted because of a couple of engine fires. Bet those few people had wish they knew about floats a head of time. I have already found 4 sets of sunken floats. That said sunken floats have always been out there for all these years it was just a bad batch that caused this SB and brought the whole issue to light.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)