A 7yr old Rotax 912 with 150 hrs

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

taxelrod

A 7yr old Rotax 912 with 150 hrs

Post by taxelrod »

I'm contemplating purchasing an aircraft with a 912S. It's history isn't pretty: First owner ran it off the runway within the first few hours. Damage to the airplane was fixed, and the gearbox inspected because of a prop strike. He then landed it up gear up, entailing more of the same. It then sat in a hangar from 2004 until about 2007, and has flown, apparently happily since then with a second owner. It still hasn't flown a lot, though, accumulating only about 70 hrs in the last 7 years.

This treatment obviously could have caused hidden problems with the engine. Is there anything I could have done in a pre-buy inspection that would reduce some of the uncertainty?
CTLSi

Re: A 7yr old Rotax 912 with 150 hrs

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

taxelrod wrote:I'm contemplating purchasing an aircraft with a 912S. It's history isn't pretty: First owner ran it off the runway within the first few hours. Damage to the airplane was fixed, and the gearbox inspected because of a prop strike. He then landed it up gear up, entailing more of the same. It then sat in a hangar from 2004 until about 2007, and has flown, apparently happily since then with a second owner. It still hasn't flown a lot, though, accumulating only about 70 hrs in the last 7 years.

This treatment obviously could have caused hidden problems with the engine. Is there anything I could have done in a pre-buy inspection that would reduce some of the uncertainty?
Because of the ceramic coated aluminum cylinders and the dry sump oil system the Rotax engine does not seem to have the same problems with sitting as the Continental and Lycoming counter parts. About the only thing you could do is take a oil sample and get it analyzed.
Also look the airplane and repairs over real good, but if they were done OK there shouldn't be a problem.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

taxelrod wrote:
A boroscope examination of the cylinder bores and valves should help in allaying any fears.

If that did not turn up anything, I for one would not be overly concerned.

Might I ask what kind of plane and where you are located?
Last edited by FastEddieB on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Damn autocorrect!

Especially annoying for a Leo!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
taxelrod

Post by taxelrod »

FastEddieB wrote:
taxelrod wrote:
A boroscope examination of the cylinder bores and valves should help in allaying any fears.

It's a 2004 AMT-200S Ximango. It's located near Atlanta, Georgia, I'm in Tucson, AZ
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I don't think the time is a problem. The CTSW I bought in 2013 was a 2007 model with 100 hours...it sat a LOT. The engine still performs very well, makes no metal, and has perfect compressions. The possibility of damage is really the only thing that would cause me to hesitate, and as mentioned a pre-purchase oil analysis would go a long way to easing those fears. If one has not been done recently, doing an oil change and cutting the filter open to check for debris is another thing you could try.

Are you buying the complete aircraft or just the engine?

Looking at the specs on that airplane, I can only say it seems heavy for what it is...empty weight is above LSA max.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
taxelrod

Post by taxelrod »

MrMorden wrote:I don't think the time is a problem. The CTSW I bought in 2013 was a 2007 model with 100 hours...it sat a LOT. The engine still performs very well, makes no metal, and has perfect compressions. The possibility of damage is really the only thing that would cause me to hesitate, and as mentioned a pre-purchase oil analysis would go a long way to easing those fears. If one has not been done recently, doing an oil change and cutting the filter open to check for debris is another thing you could try.

Are you buying the complete aircraft or just the engine?

Looking at the specs on that airplane, I can only say it seems heavy for what it is...empty weight is above LSA max.
Well "what it is" is a composite motor glider with a 17m wingspan. For comparison, the Grob G103, a pure glider of equivalent wingspan and construction, is about 900 lbs empty, so there's a penalty of about 400lbs - admittedly a lot. Motorgliders are not noted for their rapid climb after takeoff, but they sure can soar!
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

taxelrod wrote: Well "what it is" is a composite motor glider with a 17m wingspan. For comparison, the Grob G103, a pure glider of equivalent wingspan and construction, is about 900 lbs empty, so there's a penalty of about 400lbs - admittedly a lot. Motorgliders are not noted for their rapid climb after takeoff, but they sure can soar!
I understand. The only motorglider experience I have is a friend of mine built and flies a Xenos motorglider made by Sonex Aircraft. His plane has a 1275lb gross, so I assumed most were similar and built to minimize weight.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I'm about 2 hrs from Atlanta. Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

FastEddieB wrote:
taxelrod wrote:

The bore scope inspection is standard procedure for Lycoming and Continental with their steel cylinders, but I don't think it is as important for a Rotax.
taxelrod

Post by taxelrod »

Thanks for all the responses. I've learned a few new things about the Rotax 912. I'll shortly be going to see the plane, and if I like it I don't think the period of inactivity will be a showstopper. I will have an oil analysis done, though! In the process of going through all the SBs for this engine, I discovered the 912 in my Super Drifter is overdue for a fuel pump replacement - good to know.
drseti

Post by drseti »

The 3 motorgliders with which I have experience all had Rotax 912 or 914 engines. All engines were low time for their age, but not from inactivity - the aircraft spend very little time in launch phase, and most in soaring mode. So, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the low hours.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US