Constant speed prop on a Light Sport aircraft will it pass?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

rgstubbsjr

Constant speed prop on a Light Sport aircraft will it pass?

Post by rgstubbsjr »

If I installed a constant speed prop on a light sport aircraft, would that plane pass or fail it's next annual?
Assume the installation was done correctly by a licensed mechanic.

Thank you
drseti

Re: Constant speed prop on a Light Sport aircraft will it pa

Post by drseti »

If the aircraft has a Special Airworthiness Certificate in the Light Sport category (either SLSA or ELSA), then a constant speed prop would ground it. If it's an E-AB, then the constant speed prop is authorized, but then it would no longer be an LSA, and could no longer be flown by a Sport Pilot (or by a higher rated pilot using a driver's license medical). The LSA rule very clearly states "fixed pitch or ground adjustable propeller," except for self-launched gliders.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

rgstubbsjr wrote:If I installed a constant speed prop on a light sport aircraft, would that plane pass or fail it's next annual?
Assume the installation was done correctly by a licensed mechanic.

Thank you
As least as I understand the S-LSA regs, you can only use a propeller that is fixed pitch or only ground adjustable ... which would mean it should fail annual.
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

I\we understand what the LSA rules are.
Is it the mechanics job to enforce FAA\LSA rules, or just determine if the aircraft is airworthy?
There are a bunch of us sitting here, quaffing a cup, and discussing the vagaries of life, the FAA and the weather that has kept us grounded all day.
We have one mechanic who says it's not his job to rule on whether the plane violates the LSA rules, another who says it is. So we are looking for a tie breaker.
:lol:
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Wow.

Well, I can install a constant speed prop on my E-LSA Sky Arrow and fly it until the cows come home.

And then, having taken the appropriate course, do my own annual and sign it off.

All totally illegal, of course.

So, what's the question, again?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

rgstubbsjr wrote:I\

We have one mechanic who says it's not his job to rule on whether the plane violates the LSA rules, another who says it is. So we are looking for a tie breaker.
:lol:
I believe it is the mechanics responsibility to determine if the aircraft is airworthy and to do that, he has to follow the manufacturers requirements.

The manufacture specifies the specific props the airplane can use. Use of an unapproved prop, makes the airplane non-airworthy per the regs.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »

Last edited by SportPilot on Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Brian is correct -- except with regard to his use of the word "airworthy." An LSA can never be airworthy. That is because the FAA's definition of airworthy is "in a condition for safe operation, and conforms to its type certificate." An LSA has no type certificate with which to conform! Thus, the AMT has to confirm during the condition inspection that the aircraft is in a condition for safe operation (and has to use that language in the logbook signoffs, in accordance with the aircraft's Operating Instructions).

That said, I cannot sign off an SLSA as being in a condition for safe operation if it has equipment not originally installed, for which there is no Letter of Authorization. So, no, it would not pass its annual -- at least, not in my shop!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

Just in time. We're almost out of beer.

Thanks guys!