Pressure Purge?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Pressure Purge?

Post by 3Dreaming »

I posted this on the CT forum, but thought I would put it here too.

When you do a pressure purge on a CTLS with the oil temperature thermostat, does the thermostat let oil through to fill the cooler or does it leave a big air pocket. This was something that just crossed my mind while doing the hose change on my airplane.
drseti

Re: Pressure Purge?

Post by drseti »

When you purge, make sure the oil is cool enough that the thermostat is closed. Then, no problem (the thermostat and oil radiator will still be full of oil, and you will have purged the bypass circuit, so no air pockets will be present.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:When you purge, make sure the oil is cool enough that the thermostat is closed. Then, no problem (the thermostat and oil radiator will still be full of oil, and you will have purged the bypass circuit, so no air pockets will be present.)
Paul, I'm doing a hose change, and the cooler is empty to help keep from making a mess. With cool oil the thermostat bypasses the cooler, so the oil will warm up. Hence the reason for my question.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Ah. In that case, I would recommend manually refilling the oil radiator before you attach the new hoses.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US