About Annuals

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Re: About Annuals

Post by 3Dreaming »

You know something that should have been pointed out all ready is that, aircraft with a special issue airworthiness certificates don't get annual inspections. The term "Annual Inspection" is used by the FAA for standard category aircraft. Aircraft with a special issue airworthiness certificate get condition inspections. If the airplane is use commercially they are done every 100 hours or annually. For private use they must be done annually, but it is still called a condition inspection. This is just another case of the old school way pushing into the light sport world.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

CTLSi wrote:
3Dreaming wrote:You know something that should have been pointed out all ready is that, aircraft with a special issue airworthiness certificates don't get annual inspections. The term "Annual Inspection" is used by the FAA for standard category aircraft. Aircraft with a special issue airworthiness certificate get condition inspections. If the airplane is use commercially they are done every 100 hours or annually. For private use they must be done annually, but it is still called a condition inspection. This is just another case of the old school way pushing into the light sport world.
What are you referring to? For SLSA the annual is still required. And Rotax even wants more frequent log dumps for the newer model engines.
For standard category aircraft.
§91.409 Inspections.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this section, no person may operate an aircraft unless, within the preceding 12 calendar months, it has had—

(1) An annual inspection in accordance with part 43 of this chapter and has been approved for return to service by a person authorized by §43.7 of this chapter; or

(c) Paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section do not apply to—

(1) An aircraft that carries a special flight permit, a current experimental certificate, or a light-sport or provisional airworthiness certificate;

For light sport aircraft.

§91.327 Aircraft having a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category: Operating limitations

(b) No person may operate an aircraft that has a special airworthiness certificate in the light-sport category unless—

(2) A condition inspection is performed once every 12 calendar months by a certificated repairman (light-sport aircraft) with a maintenance rating, an appropriately rated mechanic, or an appropriately rated repair station in accordance with inspection procedures developed by the aircraft manufacturer or a person acceptable to the FAA;

Like I said a SLSA gets a condition inspection, and a standard category gets a annual inspection. There are also other approved methods for inspecting standard category aircraft besides the annual inspection.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

3Dreaming wrote: Like I said a SLSA gets a condition inspection, and a standard category gets a annual inspection. There are also other approved methods for inspecting standard category aircraft besides the annual inspection.
Potato, potahto...somebody has to look 'em all over once a year (or every 100hr if used commercially).
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

MrMorden wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: Like I said a SLSA gets a condition inspection, and a standard category gets a annual inspection. There are also other approved methods for inspecting standard category aircraft besides the annual inspection.
Potato, potahto...somebody has to look 'em all over once a year (or every 100hr if used commercially).
Yes, and no. Aviation is chock full of examples....

When is 'night'?
What is 'furtherance'?
'Acting' vs 'logging'?

So, while it is always possible that they meant the same thing by 'annual inspection' and 'condition inspection', I wouldn't bank on it.
- Bruce
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

At least on the CT the 100 hr and the condition inspection are very similar. So, if your LSA requires a 100 hour it would be prudent to get a condition inspection signed off at the same time for essentially the same cost as just the 100 hr. Now you're good to go a year or 100 hr whichever comes first.
John Horn
Independence Airpark (7S5), OR
CFII, LSRM-A
Rotax Service, Maint, and Heavy Maint. trained
Flying a CTSW, building an RV-12
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Merlinspop wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
Yes, and no. Aviation is chock full of examples....

When is 'night'?
What is 'furtherance'?
'Acting' vs 'logging'?

So, while it is always possible that they meant the same thing by 'annual inspection' and 'condition inspection', I wouldn't bank on it.
I don't mean they are the same exactly per regulations, just that from a functional standpoint, to owners they are the same thing: Pay a mechanic to go through a checklist of maintenance items and service bulletins to make sure the aircraft is airworthy.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

Us grey and no hairs who have been saying annual for decades are not going to change any time soon. Just gotta remember to keep it right when it counts.
John Horn
Independence Airpark (7S5), OR
CFII, LSRM-A
Rotax Service, Maint, and Heavy Maint. trained
Flying a CTSW, building an RV-12
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The 2 regulations are 91.327 and 91.409. The FAA defines the time between inspections as 12 months. The type of inspection required is defined by the regulations. 91.409 requires a annual inspection, and 91.327 requires a condition inspection. The FAA is the one that uses the different terms for the different inspections, not me.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

sandpiper wrote:Us grey and no hairs who have been saying annual for decades are not going to change any time soon. Just gotta remember to keep it right when it counts.
That is what I meant by saying it is just the old school carrying through.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Read the Line Maint. manual, section 05-20-00 page 3 on Time intervals. You are supposed to do 100 hr. Inspections. Will you be condemned for not doing it, no. The FAA required one for training is different and isn't the same one as an annual condition from the aircraft MFG or Rotax inspection time line in their manuals. It may be physically the same, but required by different entities. Rotax and most LSA MFG's have periodic inspections other than the FAA annual condition inspection.

I fully agree with Sandpiper. Every single LSA that comes into my shop gets the 100 hr. and Annual condition Inspection done and signed off at the same time. Then the owner is rest time wise for either a 1`00 hrs. or 12 months and doesn't have to worry about either and when you read his logbook it looks like he actually did what he was supposed to. Many LSA MFG 100 hr. inspections are very close to the Annual Condition inspection physically. How hard is it to add 4-5 words in the logbook saying you did both. Neither Rotax or the FAA cares how often you do a 100 hr. or the annual condition, but when the last one is performed the next inspection is due by at least the next 100 hr. or 12 month period. If you use it for training then the FAA required inspection can be a deciding factor.

My soapbox:
Keeping poor documentation, failing to do what is recommended by the aircraft MFG or Rotax will cost you money when it comes time to sell (re-sale value killer) or if you want help with an out of warranty claim. I did a research paper years ago and it bares out. Rotax and other MFG's will help until they see your logbook that has limited entries where you basically told them "you can't make me do this inspection or maint." because I don't legally have to. You may be right, but they don't have to help you either and the buyer will argue you failed in doing a good maint. program and you will be at the bottom of the price range for your plane and not the top which can be a $4K-$10K spread. I love these guys. They always complain the most when things break, don't go right or they don't get what they ask when they sold and it was everyone else fault. I really like the guys who have 1-3 line logbook entries for an entire annual. I have oil change only entries longer than that.

Okay, hopping down from my soapbox now.
Better go have a roast-beef sandwich to relax. LOL
Last edited by roger lee on Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

You should have had a required Rotax 25 hr. inspection to keep the warranty. So you should have been only 35 hrs. long and you got the annual in time. Why would Rotax and FD give you a hard time over the 160 hr. time. Like they have told me, "It isn't their plane" nor are they on the hook for making the right decisions. You weren't that far off the beaten path, but if you get too far off and something happens then they will bring it up, I guarantee it. I do the warranty work and I wouldn't leave anyone an opening.

Until people loose lots of money or have significant down time it can be hard to convince owners to do good documentation and recommended maint. instead of forced down my throat maint.
So long as everything flies well then no one would have reason to get upset. Let there be a failure and have Rotax or an aircraft MFG refuse you help because of poor documentation and you'll bark a different story.

Do the right things a head of time because when you need it it will be too late.
Just like in any school or profession, you can be at the top 5% of the class or the bottom 5%. Everyone gets to make their own choice.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)