About Annuals

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: About Annuals

Post by drseti »

Actually, Tom, the term that Ron Wagner at EAA coined is "Sport Pilot eligible." It has nothing to do with how the aircraft is registered, or what kind of airworthiness certificate it has, but deals only with what kind of machines a Sport Pilot can fly. In that context, it kind of makes sense, in that it does not attempt in any way to redefine LSA.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Actually, Tom, the term that Ron Wagner at EAA coined is "Sport Pilot eligible." It has nothing to do with how the aircraft is registered, or what kind of airworthiness certificate it has, but deals only with what kind of machines a Sport Pilot can fly. In that context, it kind of makes sense, in that it does not attempt in any way to redefine LSA.
I know that all light sport aircraft are sport pilot eligible. As I remember the term was often used to describe aircraft that had airworthiness certificates issued in other than the Light Sport category. IMO, this is why people still think that standard category aircraft are not really "Light Sport" aircraft.
drseti

Post by drseti »

The way I choose to use the term, LSA can come in four different categories: SLSA, ELSA, E-AB, and SPEA. All but the last one are FAA recognized categories that appear on the aieqorthiness certificate. The last one will have a Standard Category airworthiness certificate. So, SPEA is just shorthand for a Standard Category Light Sport Aircraft. Wagner could have chosen to call them SCLSA, but he was running short of letters. :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

You can say it however you want. It is simply my opinion that trying to explain it the wrong way has led and continues to lead to people thinking that standard category aircraft are not really light sport aircraft.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I think it's an important distinction, Tom. Of course, a standard category aircraft can be an LSA. But if we don't differentiate it some way, people will think it can be worked on or inspected by an LSRM or LSRI. Since this thread is about condition inspections, we have to emphasize the difference: not all LSAs are created equal.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

That is why I say that it is a light sport aircraft if it meets the CFR 1.1 definition, and how you maintain it depends on how its airworthiness certificate was issued. Much simpler when you are just a ole airplane mechanic like me.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: how you maintain it depends on how its airworthiness certificate was issued.
True, but that seems to be a hard point to get across. It's amazing how many folks (some even on this forum) say "I'm going to buy an LSA Ercoupe" (or Cub, Champ, T-Craft, etc.), "take the weekend course, get the certificate, maintain it myself, and do my own annuals."
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
3Dreaming wrote: how you maintain it depends on how its airworthiness certificate was issued.
True, but that seems to be a hard point to get across. It's amazing how many folks (some even on this forum) say "I'm going to buy an LSA Ercoupe" (or Cub, Champ, T-Craft, etc.), "take the weekend course, get the certificate, maintain it myself, and do my own annuals."
There are always going to be those few people who do not understand the rules regardless of how or how many times you explain it to them. It may not be that they don't understand, but rather they simply want it to be that way so it fits their needs.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote:they simply want it to be that way so it fits their needs.
I know exactly what you mean, Tom. :(
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

Interesting… the front two cylinders burn rich because of their cooler position up front within the cowling:
plugs-IMG_3620.jpg
plugs-IMG_3620.jpg (51.43 KiB) Viewed 6110 times
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Do not assume that is normal.

Has anyone else seen that?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
designrs

Post by designrs »

I believe Paul says that it is normal.
(Correct me if I am mistaken.)
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

My engine is "backwards", of course, and maybe more evenly cooled, but...

And I've looked at lots of spark plug sets out of a lot of different engines, and have never noticed a pattern like that.

Not to say your plane might not be "quirky" that way!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

designrs wrote:I believe Paul says that it is normal.
(Correct me if I am mistaken.)
I didn't mean to say that it's normal, Richard, just that I wouldn't be overly concerned about it at this time. That's because I don't know how many hours are on the plugs (I don't believe your engine logbook showed Hobbs reading at last plug change), and also because I found no trace of the required heat sink compound on the threads of the old plugs (so the heat distribution is suspect anyway). At next oil change, we'll pull a plug or two and determine if this a persistent issue, or just a one time occurrence.

Usually, with a Rotax 912, what I worry about is dark plugs in cylinders 1 and 3, light in 2 and 4 ( or vice versa). That would be indicative of a carb sync issue, which would need to be addressed right away. That was not the case with your engine.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

… so we are watching it. Hopefully it will be closer next time.