Shock Cooling

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Re: Shock Cooling

Post by FastEddieB »

Just looked at the CTLS POH I have on my iPad and it shows a minimum oil temperature of 120°f.

Not to say it might not be different for different CT Models.*

Just looked and 120°f also for my ROTAX 912ULS2 Sky Arrow.

*And I see Charlie Tango confirmed that.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

CharlieTango wrote:The CTSW POH says 124

http://documents.flightdesignusa.com/SW-POH.pdf

page 8.3
It's interesting how different airframe manufacturers make up their own numbers, though ASTM rules allow them to set limits different from the engine manufacturer's. In this case, the CTSW POH says 51C/124F, while Rotax says 50C/122F. The difference is below the resolution of most temp gauges, thus negligible. But the CTLS gives yet a third number. :? So, I have to wonder why Flight Design put that 140 F number on their gauge.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

drseti wrote: I have to wonder why Flight Design put that 140 F number on their gauge.
My gauge looks like its 122.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote:Just looked and 120°f also for my ROTAX 912ULS2 Sky Arrow.
Actually, I like that 120 number, and find it consistent with Rotax. Mathematically, 50 C translates to 122 F. But 50C was given to only two digits, so rounding off to 120F is consistent with the degree of precision documented in the Rotax manuals.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

CharlieTango wrote:The CTSW POH says 124

http://documents.flightdesignusa.com/SW-POH.pdf

page 8.3
My gauge is tiny, it could be the line is close to 140 on the dial but is actually 124. I will check next time I'm out there.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
sandpiper

Post by sandpiper »

I'm not sure we need to worry about shock cooling with Rotax 912"s in tightly cowled plane like CT's or RV-12's, especially if we are not flying in really cold temperatures.

However, I do think that rapid and full power reductions are generally not necessary and are indicative of poor piloting technics that could upset passengers and lead to bad habits that could cause problems with more powerful and more complex engines.
John Horn
Independence Airpark (7S5), OR
CFII, LSRM-A
Rotax Service, Maint, and Heavy Maint. trained
Flying a CTSW, building an RV-12
designrs

Post by designrs »

Well stated Sandpiper. Thanks. Opinion as expected, but it's good to hear for confirmation.