Cold Starts

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

BrianL99

Cold Starts

Post by BrianL99 »

At what sort of temperatures, are you fellow Rotax owners having starting problems?

It's 46 degrees in Boston today and expected to reach only up to the high 50's ... should I expect a problem, starting?

I do have a Reiff Pre-Heater installed, but haven't used it yet. It used to do a great job with my Cirrus & this one is "Cell Phone Activated", so I can just call it in (if I had the set it up yesterday, of course :)
FastEddieB

Re: Cold Starts

Post by FastEddieB »

I've started my Sky Arrow with no issues down to about 30° or so. A well charged battery is a big plus.

Full "choke", no throttle. I've been advised that "pulling it through" is not advised, though if you do, just enough for your "burp" and oil level check.

Below that I'd try to find a way to preheat. Even a trouble light under the cowling overnight will make a huge difference, if such is possible.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

FastEddieB wrote:I've started my Sky Arrow with no issues down to about 30° or so. A well charged battery is a big plus.

Full "choke", no throttle. I've been advised that "pulling it through" is not advised, though if you do, just enough for your "burp" and oil level check.

Below that I'd try to find a way to preheat. Even a trouble light under the cowling overnight will make a huge difference, if such is possible.

Thanks Eddie.

I have the Reiff Turbo Pre-heater installed, I just haven't set it up yet. I wasn't anticipating such low temperatures, already.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

BrianL99 wrote:
I have the Reiff Turbo Pre-heater installed, I just haven't set it up yet. I wasn't anticipating such low temperatures, already.
Summer was unusually cool this year in Georgia. Not a single day above 100°F, which is very unusual.

There have been over 240 cold temperature records broken so far in September nationwide, and they just got 20" of snow in parts of Wyoming and the earliest snowfall on record in South Dakota.

I think we're all in for a bitterly cold winter. :cry:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

I have heater wraps I use on the gearbox and oil tank when the temperature dips below 35 degrees at night--but only to ensure the oil is warm and flowing well when I crank her over. I have never had any issues actually starting the engine, but then, here, a record cold morning would be maybe 28 in the dead of winter.
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
rgstubbsjr

Post by rgstubbsjr »

On the P92, if the temperature is below 40, I pre-heat.
Why take a chance, or make the starter work harder than necessary?
drseti

Post by drseti »

I preheat at 45 F and below. I wrote an article last year on how to build a simple portable electric preheater for around $30. When I locate the link, I'll post it here.

Edit: here's the article. http://avsport.org/publicat/nonfict/preheat.pdf

Edit 2: here's a previous thread on this topic.
http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3523
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

I plug my Tanis pre-heater in October and unplug it in May. I also unplug it when I go flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Why? Isn't your extension cord long enough?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

It is a very timely revival of this thread.
I just ordered the setup that Paul recommended.
Grand total for all parts & shipping $55.

Thanks Paul!

: )
designrs

Post by designrs »

MrMorden wrote:I think we're all in for a bitterly cold winter. :cry:
Andy wins the prize fornhisvwesther prediction.
Someone buy him a hit cup of his favorite beverage!
designrs

Post by designrs »

It's important to keep your battery strong as well. I've known of slipper clutches to be damaged by weak battery starting. Some say replace the battery every year, needed or not.
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

designrs wrote:It is a very timely revival of this thread.
Grand total for all parts & shipping $55.

Thanks Paul!

: )

A guy who has his Extra in the same hangar as me, essentially has that same set up, with a wood stand to support the whole thing. Works great for him.

Starting next week, we're hooking up my Cellphone activated switch I bought from Reiff with my heater and we'll be all automated, in case that cold stuff actually shows up.
designrs

Post by designrs »

BrianL99 wrote:
designrs wrote:It is a very timely revival of this thread.
Grand total for all parts & A guy who has his Extra in the same hangar as me, essenStarting next week, we're hooking up my Cellphone activated switch I bought from Reiff with my heater and we'll be all automated, in case that cold stuff actually shows up.
Thanks Brian. Here's a link to the switch that I believe Brian is referring to:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/ep/ ... -13474.php

OAT yesterday was 18F overnight, 25F during the day.
Hangar was at 40F, not too bad considering.
It's amazing how unheated box hangars often don't drop below freezing.
I used to monitor temperature for a motorhome in a garage, same story... it really didn't drop below freezing. Preheating on top of 40F should be ready to go.
Thinking about that cellular switch...

I usually preheat about an hour or so.
It seems sufficient, but it would be great to preheat for a few hours and really heat the core oil as well.
What's is the ideal preheat time with a setup like Paul's?
drseti

Post by drseti »

designrs wrote:Some say replace the battery every year, needed or not.
I don't go quite that far. But, coincidentally, I just ordered a new battery last night!

I use the Odyssey PC-680 sealed lead acid (with an LoA, of course). They claim 3 to 8 year lifetime. I get 3.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US