SIdetone

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

BrianL99

SIdetone

Post by BrianL99 »

Does anyone here have much familiarity with radios?

I'm intermittently losing "sidetone" on my radio. It usually works just fine, but every once in a while, I'll lose sidetone and can't hear myself transmitting. I know I'm transmitting, because I get a response, I just can't hear it.

Bad ground somewhere?
Wm.Ince

Re: SIdetone

Post by Wm.Ince »

BrianL99 wrote:Does anyone here have much familiarity with radios?

I'm intermittently losing "sidetone" on my radio. It usually works just fine, but every once in a while, I'll lose sidetone and can't hear myself transmitting. I know I'm transmitting, because I get a response, I just can't hear it.

Bad ground somewhere?
What kind of radio and intercom do you have?
Did you contact the manufacturer yet and explain the symptoms?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Also try a different headset. I just had a Zulu go bad...eventually it stopped passing any audio at all, but the first symptom was an intermittent loss of sidetone.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

If it's a Garmin SL30, you might try setting the sidetone to 0 which slaves sidetone to the volume level.
dave
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I'm going to take some time to figure it out, this weekend.
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

1. First, rule out a headset problem; see if it does the same with another headset. Does the headset have ear-volume controls? Try other volume levels.

2. If that fails, then next rule out an intercom adjustment (squelch/volume) problem. The PS Engineering (PM501) intercoms in our Sting Sport airplanes are very finicky and there is a "sweet spot" where they work best. Especially work with the squelch, which may have gotten bumped and moved.

Did this problem just arise? If so, I'd bet on #1 or #2. If it has been with you since getting the airplane, then it is more likely it could be the mic/sidetone adjustment of the radio.

3. The Icom ICA200 radios in our airplanes are removed on a slide-out tray. First, you insert a 3/32 allen wrench into the right front of the radio and release it for slide-out. Then, you can access a small piece of foil tape, top left, covering the potentiometers adjustment for side tone, mic gain, and squelch. Small counterclockwise movement to reduce; clockwise to increase. Could be you need a small tweak upwards! However, my A200 radio actually had to have a tweak down, because I had constant "white noise" during radio transmissions (PTT).

You will find more about this adjustment issue for the ICA200 on the Van's Airforce forum, pilotsofamerica forum, and ICA200 Service Manual (available online). But I'd bet on #1 or #2 being the issue, first.

Rich
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured