Ignition Modules

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Parker

Ignition Modules

Post by Parker »

FastEddieB said, "I had just gotten my Sky Arrow back in the air with new ignition modules after extended down time."

It seems there are lots of ignition module failures out there. According to reports on the Rotax Owner's page they seem to be failing particularly on the 06-07 vintage Rotax 912. In addition they are difficult to come by, as FEB mentioned. I have been down since July, without any indication from Lockwood as to when I might expect replacements. It isn't a pretty picture.
drdehave

Re: Ignition Modules

Post by drdehave »

Wow! Ugly! I hope mine with 1,530 hours don't take a dump!

Rich
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

I've been down since mid-July as well. CPS now says my shipment will be in tomorrow (originally was due in 8/18).

Good news is that my lack of flying basically paid the $1k for the new modules :(
dave
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

The saga continues. No ignition modules at CPS, Lockwood or LeadingEdge. CPS got a large order from Kodiak that was supposed have ignition modules but, unfortunately, did not. Lockwood apparently got a small order that was pre-allocated and LeadingEdge is expecting 36 at the 'end of the month'. Lockwood is expecting more in 'mid November'. CPS is tracking down where their two different orders of ignition modules are.

The parts suppliers appear to be doing what they can but there is clearly a problem with the Rotax supply chain.

At one point I was a strong proponent of Rotax, provided one had certified mechanics available. Now I'm at best neutral due to their inability to provide replacement parts to their existing customer base.

I'm probably going to need a safety pilot if I ever get airborne again :evil:
dave
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Bummer! Keeping my fingers crossed, that mine doesn't take a dump!
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
drseti

Post by drseti »

This kind of problem is not unique to Rotax. I recall a few years ago that a whole bunch of Lycoming-powered aircraft were grounded because of an issue with crankshaft availability. This was due to an AD, so a whole bunch of crankshafts were needed all at once (an unusual supply chain issue, and in this case a very expensive one).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

To my knowledge this is a first for Rotax to suffer so many ignition module issues and need this kind of supply. If no one is submitting a CSIR then it never gets back to Rotax. You have to do it you can't rely on someone else like a distributor to figure it out and they sure as hec aren't filing any forms if you don't.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Post by drseti »

dstclair wrote:Now I'm at best neutral due to their inability to provide replacement parts to their existing customer base.
Dave, so far I've had no problems whatever with getting Rotax parts in a timely manner. Should that situation change, I will of course report here.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

roger lee wrote:To my knowledge this is a first for Rotax to suffer so many ignition module issues and need this kind of supply. If no one is submitting a CSIR then it never gets back to Rotax. You have to do it you can't rely on someone else like a distributor to figure it out and they sure as hec aren't filing any forms if you don't.
Roger -- I plan to fill out the CSIR once I've ascertained the new modules fix problem.

That being said, I sincerely hope Rotax isn't relying on essentially word of mouth to stock parts to their suppliers. Modern Supply Chain Management and Inventory Management software are very sophisticated. Inventory Management software will track the rate units are sold and predict when new orders to the supplier should be placed. They can also compare the current trend versus historic. If these trends differ, then exceptions are flagged so they can be analyzed. Supply Chain Management funnels this information up and down the chain.

This would not have told Rotax WHAT was wrong with the ignition modules but would have told them that a problem was brewing and they could've proactively built new units before the supply was exhausted.

In short, Rotax should have tools available that they should have been ahead of this situation and not waiting on a manual customer feedback loop designed 20+ years ago.
dave
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

CPS called today and claimed the ignition modules left Kodiak on 10/7 and are due in 10/14-15. :shock:

Hopefully, my next post will include pictures of the prop spinning :-)
dave
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Modules arrived earlier this week and my mechanic installed this morning!

Over 3 months of downtime and she started at one blade. Rotax ran smooth, run up was uneventful with around 100rpm drop in the 'mag' check. Thought I'd have a lot more rust but was able to do a couple good, power off approaches and land smoothly at my home airport then took off for a mini cross country to Greenville. Kind of hard not put it down smooth on an 8000x150 runway. Misjudged the approach a bit returning to my home airport and (egad!) added a slight bit of power on final. Less than 5 kts of cross winds didn't hurt, either.

Now trying to finish my yard work so I can grab an hour at sunset :D
dave
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Glad that's all it was.

Too bad it took so long!

I felt the same relief when my Sky Arrow sprang immediately to life!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Parker

Post by Parker »

Finally received my ignition modules and had them installed. On burping the engine, we turned it one cycle and it stopped dead. Coolant in one of the cylinders. I think I said something like, "My goodness, that is disappointing." The short version of the story is that having the plane sit for so long ended up confirming a suspicion my A&P already had, based on an inspection he did right after I purchased the plane. So I'm in a position to take care of several issues, but I'm not sure which is effecting me the most--the money I'm having to spend, or the gorgeous days passing me by when I could at least be up watching a setting sun.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Parker wrote:. . . "a suspicion my A&P already had, based on an inspection he did right after I purchased the plane. " . . .
If you don't mind sharing with us, what was that suspicion your mechanic had and how did he arrive at it?
Some of us could encounter the same fate. That experience your mechanic had may provide us with a valuable heads up.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Parker wrote:On burping the engine, we turned it one cycle and it stopped dead. Coolant in one of the cylinders.
Please keep us informed as to how coolant ended up in a cylinder.

Sounds major! :cry:
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]