Sting/Sting Sport Owners: Batteries, Dirt Cheap!

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

drdehave

Sting/Sting Sport Owners: Batteries, Dirt Cheap!

Post by drdehave »

Fellow Sting & Sting Sport owners:

If you haven't already found out, you will: These TL Ultralight airplanes eat up engine batteries pretty darned fast. In mine, I'm lucky to get 200 hours and 6-8 months.

The first sign you get that the battery is going bye-bye is the "Low Battery" warning light coming on intermittently whilst taxiing (I used to mistake this for a "bad" regulator--or loose wires going into the regulator)--especially if taxiing with the Strobes on! Then, the intermittent warning becomes more consistent, when taxiing or after pulling power during landing.

I stopped fighting it and stopped hunting for other, more expensive, causes. Now, when I start getting consistent Low Battery warnings, I just take 10 minutes and drop in a new battery. This invariably solves the problem.

And a new battery doesn't "hurt" the pocket that much, since they are only $50-58 on Amazon. And they send them to your door, for FREE! (What I do not quite understand about Amazon, is why their prices can change in a heart-beat! I just ordered this battery for $53 with Free shipping; Five minutes later when I checked, the price was $58. Go Figure!)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000N5U5VG/ref ... 00_TE_item

Rich
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
drseti

Re: Sting/Sting Sport Owners: Batteries, Dirt Cheap!

Post by drseti »

Rich, is that Yuasa motorcycle battery the make and model specified in the Sting maintenance manual?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Try Apex Battery... I see they have the same model replacement for about $41, minus the ever-present coupon code worth another 5-10 percent.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

"That battery OEM-Specified?"

Yes, that model battery IS in the Master Equipment List of 11/12--with two European manufacturers. I am working to get this USA manufacturer added.

And I have tried the cheaper versions of this battery model--and they did not last as long as the Yamaha.

Rich
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Rich -- SportAir approved an equivalent Interstate Battery as well. A bit more expensive but readily available. I've gone with the Odyssey PC-310 which seems to have a bit better cranking power. We'll see on durability.
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

I've gone with an Odyssey PC-680 on my SportStar. Great battery, more expensive, but lasts several years. Evektor was kind enough to issue me a Letter of Authorization for this. (Anyone interested can see the LoA at <http://AvSport.org/acft/SportStar/Sport ... attery.pdf>). Since this is a heavier battery, I had to modify my wt/bal records accordingly.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

For Sting folk, the PC-310 is essentially the same weight as the Yuasa compatible motorcycle batteries and fits into the existing battery cage, albeit a little tighter. The terminals are also reversed so you'll need to mount it backwards or move the terminal cables.
dave