ELT not working

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

NJMike

ELT not working

Post by NJMike »

Last item on my annual (conditional) inspection today was the ELT. Even though all the voltage measurements are good according to the manual, the light does not come on when the ELT is put in the ON position, the G-force test did not work and there was no aural indications on 121.5.

It's an Ameri-King AK-450.

Anyone had any similar experiences with this model?
Thanks,
Mike
MrMorden

Re: ELT not working

Post by MrMorden »

NJMike wrote:Last item on my annual (conditional) inspection today was the ELT. Even though all the voltage measurements are good according to the manual, the light does not come on when the ELT is put in the ON position, the G-force test did not work and there was no aural indications on 121.5.

Check connections first. I had a similar problem with my ELT, and found the RJ-11 cable that goes to the panel not properly seated in the ELT unit.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

NJMike wrote:Last item on my annual (conditional) inspection today was the ELT. Even though all the voltage measurements are good according to the manual, the light does not come on when the ELT is put in the ON position, the G-force test did not work and there was no aural indications on 121.5.

I have replaced more than one that had failed. They were on different aircraft.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Mike, I recently upgraded to a 406 MHz ELT, and have a complete working, tested, and yellow-tagged AK450 for sale if you need a replacement. PM me if interested.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
NJMike

Post by NJMike »

Andy, I don't have the remote unit...only the main unit.

3Dreaming, it was working a year ago for the last annual inspection. Do you know what failed on your unit(s)?

Drseti, what is a "yellow tagged" unit ?
Thanks,
Mike
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The units just quit working, and I didn't send them out for repair. I did check batteries before deciding it was DOA. It seems to be a some what of common problem with these units. When I have had an ELT repaired the cost was more than one of these new, so I just installed a new unit. I didn't have to change anything out, and very little paperwork.
NJMike

Post by NJMike »

Yeah, that's why I prefer repairing this one or getting the same model. I don't want any additional paperwork or having to do another weight and balance right now.

I'm waiting fir drseti's reply.
Thanks,
Mike
drseti

Post by drseti »

Mike, a yellow tag is attached to a part or piece of equipment when it is removed from service in operational condition. It is signed by the mechanic, summarizes the history of the part (hours in service, condition, when last inspected or tested, etc.) and is placed in the logbook of any aircraft in which that part is subsequently installed.

Similarly, a red tag is used when the removed item is no longer airworthy.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Mike, a yellow tag is attached to a part or piece of equipment when it is removed from service in operational condition. It is signed by the mechanic, summarizes the history of the part (hours in service, condition, when last inspected or tested, etc.) and is placed in the logbook of any aircraft in which that part is subsequently installed.

Similarly, a red tag is used when the removed item is no longer airworthy.
Just so you know a yellow tag is an industry term and has no meaning what so ever with the FAA.
drseti

Post by drseti »

You're correct as usual, Tom. :)
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US