ROTAX 618 & RAVE SYSTEM

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Yanis

ROTAX 618 & RAVE SYSTEM

Post by Yanis »

Hello everyone and I apologize for the long post here, but just want anyone reading it to be informed on all details,
Subject rave system on ROTAX 618
UNDER 50 Total hours since new installed on experimental Aeros Trike
When I first got my Rotax 618 I was misinformed about the use of the RAVE system, I was told that was only to be used if flying in very high altitudes which I never did, So I never use or mess with the RAVE control lever,
Only during flying In few occasions I did encounter momentarily hesitation of achieving full RPM when applying throttle from lets say 5000 RPM going to higher setting, but because it was very rare I did not really ground my aircraft I just kept THE ISSUE it in the back of my head at all times, as 4K to 5K RPM was giving me enough power for my cruising airspeed, so any time this happen I just easy the throttle to where I had it and continue my flight, I did try many times to find the issue but I was on the ground and on the ground everything was perfect.
40 flying hours later on this new engine I decided to play with the choke and see it air fule mix nay had something to do with this issue or related to this, So I throttle up a little and moved the choke lever ½ way and I got me my 1000 RPM increase right away, BUT IT WASN’T THE CHOKE LEVER THAT I HAD MOVED ACCIDENTLY HAD MOVED THE RAVE LEVER, (as they was in very close proximity)
Now I know as I have done a lot of research after this incident trying to find out all I can about the RAVE, I know what it does and I know why is there, But I am confused by the lever control settings:
I been told that RAVE kicks in automatically and work automatically based on the RPM, (???)
I have seen pictures of RAVE system but have no controls or cable for the pilot to have any input,
My system has control cables and a lever to make changes, but I cannot find out what is the correct setting, is it JUST FULL ON OR OFF? and automatically the system make the changes based on the RPM? If so where my lever it should be low medium or all the way up, that I need help to learn the proper use of the system, Or I increase the setting with the rave lever as I increase RPM? I am looking forward for input and advice any expert may assist with. I may no need to remove or try to cleaning the system as my lower than 50 hours may still free of any buildup as I am also using seafoam on every other fil up, that I speculate.
Regards to all,
Yanis