Alternative Oil Filter for Rotax

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

roger lee

Re: Alternative Oil Filter for Rotax

Post by roger lee »

Hi Paul,

The 100LL issue is what I read on forum post from others and phone calls that people took from the webinar. I just sounds like they took something away from the webinar that wasn't necessarily intended.

" Don makes a good case for the Tempest being "equal or better"

It isn't equal. It has a different anti drain back membrane and an internal check valve and when I get the chance I will test the pressure relief and when I go back to Rotax in May will talk to them.

I can almost understand using a different filter if one price was largely different than the other, but can't see it if the prices are almost equal. I was in that group many years ago. I don't see the logic here with prices almost equal and a different internal build.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Post by drseti »

roger lee wrote: Rotax supplies 85% of the worlds small aircraft engines.
The figure I cited in my webinar is 80%, but I'm not going to quibble over five points.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

To me it doesn't make a difference in a few points either. Whether 60% or 80% that's still more than everyone else by a long ways.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

MrMorden wrote: When I change the oil after I seat the filter I always make two Sharpie marks, one on the filter edge and one on the engine in the same spot, and then check them after each flight for a few hours. They never change alignment.
That will work.

The "custom made" solution is a product called "Torque-Seal":

When I install a filter, when the gasket touches I scribe a line in the paint down vertically from the center. Makes it clear when 270º of tightening (3/4 turn) has occurred. You may be able to just make it out on this filter, along with some (rather sloppily applied) Torque-Seal:

Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Yeah, I have torque seal...but a Sharpie makes less mess. 8)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA