Rotax 912ULS Fuel Pressure

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

snaproll

Re: Rotax 912ULS Fuel Pressure

Post by snaproll »

drseti wrote:
snaproll wrote: - the dual carbs is what I have a difficult time with.
That was the easy part for me, Don. Very common in the British sports car world, as well as with motorcycles. The only difference is, I never before had to deal with a spinning propeller when synchronizing carbs. :?
Thanks Paul.. Guess dinosaurs like us should be accustomed to the spinning prop, we’ve hand propped enough airplanes.
VR.. Don
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

1. My first "new" fuel pump did the same thing--it often ran above the upper pressure limit on climb-out and landings. This forced me to stop boosting with the electric, on take-off, at least.

2. But, eventually I got so disgusted with it, I took it off and reinstalled the old, original AC pump--and it continued to chug along perfectly and always within pressure bounds.

3. Then, that latest SB comes along and I reluctantly put another new pump on. Now, this one consistently runs too low on pressure on climb-out, forcing me to put "turn on electric pump" back into my take-off checklist.

I won't speculate further; I've just learned to "go with the flow" on Rotax mechanical fuel pumps, now....
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

drdehave wrote:1. My first "new" fuel pump did the same thing--it often ran above the upper pressure limit on climb-out and landings. This forced me to stop boosting with the electric, on take-off, at least.

2. But, eventually I got so disgusted with it, I took it off and reinstalled the old, original AC pump--and it continued to chug along perfectly and always within pressure bounds.

3. Then, that latest SB comes along and I reluctantly put another new pump on. Now, this one consistently runs too low on pressure on climb-out, forcing me to put "turn on electric pump" back into my take-off checklist.

I won't speculate further; I've just learned to "go with the flow" on Rotax mechanical fuel pumps, now....
Going with the flow is probably a good idea... I haven't figured out much of the Rotax marketing yet. Rotax adapts a different automotive pump (larger spacer required) and still hasn't got it right. The new oil filter with the higher bypass pressure was another adaptation - I had the new one tested at a local calibration lab and it relieved at 14 PSI, had a second one tested and got 13 PSI. Finally switched to the Tempest AA825706, same bypass pressure, higher burst pressure, and can be safety wired. Thanks.. Don
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

roger lee wrote:I hate ghost issues, but sometimes they just work out.
Roger,
Just an update from January - still runnung normal with no re-occurance, fuel pressure is staying aroung 3.5 and flow is normal. Thanks.. Don
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

drdehave wrote:1. My first "new" fuel pump did the same thing--it often ran above the upper pressure limit on climb-out and landings. This forced me to stop boosting with the electric, on take-off, at least.

Well, my new fuel pump gave low pressure on climb out for the third time since being installed 3 months ago. Does seem to be correlated with initial climb although that could be a coincidence. The pressure went from 4.5 on take-off roll to 2.8 psi at 3500'. Didn't wait for it to go lower and hit the aux pump which kept things in the 4.0+ range. Once stabilized at altitude, the fuel pressure was fine without the aux pump. I also did a 500 fpm climb from 3500' to 5500' without the aux pump and the pressure was fine. Checked the pump on the ground and found no leaks. I'm now in the camp of turning the pump on at take-off. Engine never missed a beat, though, without the aux pump.

I did some research and found the following from the UK microlight forum that was posted by a Rotax UK service center:
We have dismantled a BCP pump and know how it works.

It has an internal pressure regulator so the pump itself is limited to less than 0.4Bar.
It has triple diaphragms for improved safety.
The one way valves work sooo well I suspect it could cause slight pressure fluctuations, but as it is only filling up a float chamber this is not be a problem (bit like your toilet cistern). If you have a flow sensor that is too close to the pump or carbs it may be more susceptible to indication errors as result of the pressure fluctuations. Please see some technical information regarding flow sensor positioning from TL Electronics (this was prior to the BCP pump). http://www2.tl-elektronic.cz/instrum...e/AN-03_en.pdf http://www2.tl-elektronic.cz/instrum...e/AN-05_en.pdf
It has a strainer on the inlet side.
The vapour return orifice size should make no difference to the pressure (unless it is way too big that is).
The drain port is purely to drain any small amount of oil that can be seep past the oil seal on the shaft as it moves in and out. - incorrect positioning of the drain hose could slightly affect the pressure as it acts on the back of the pressure regulator.
The pressure limits for the 912 fuel system with a BCP pump are 0.15-0.5Bar.
Pressure fluctuations within the normal operating range as not considered to be a problem.
Low pressure for a short period is possible and allowed.
dave
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

I am happy to report that all pressure anomalies I was having with mine have ceased. I has run perfectly within pressure bounds--whether I boost electrically, or not--for almost 200 hours now--just like the old AC.

Knock on wood!....

Rich
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Rich -- now that doesn't help me :)

I assume you didn't do anything specific -- it just started working OK after X amount of hours?
dave
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

it just started working OK after X amount of hours?

Roger that! Good thing, too. I might have done something stupid--like put the AC back on...
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

To All,
Since I first reported the issue in January, my fuel pressure has been staying within operational limits. I did reset the fuel flow parameters to get rid of the "High Fuel Flow" alarm. The monitoring system was set to alarm at 7 GPM - I reset it to 7.2 GPM. Pressure stays between 3.4 and 4.8 PSI.
VR.. Don
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

snaproll wrote:To All,
Since I first reported the issue in January, my fuel pressure has been staying within operational limits. I did reset the fuel flow parameters to get rid of the "High Fuel Flow" alarm. The monitoring system was set to alarm at 7 GPM - I reset it to 7.2 GPM. Pressure stays between 3.4 and 4.8 PSI.
VR.. Don
How are you getting over 7gph with a Rotax 912? Running at 6500rpm? :lol:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
snaproll

Post by snaproll »

Fuel burn is higher due to prop pitch set as a "cruise prop". WOT level at 2500 ASL is 5500 RPM at 130 MPH burning 6.9 GPH. I throttle back to 5350 for cruise at 6 GPH and 125 MPH indicated. Rotax recommends running at a higher RPM using 100LL.
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

reference: http://www.screencast.com/t/ZarrO9jj

These are the numbers I recently got with my Rotax:
5450 RPM
6.5 GPH
3.4 PSI

Yielded 114kts TAS.
Dave
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

My CTLS at or just below 5300 shows 4.9-5.1 for fuel flow and 120kts true airspeed.