Adjusting fixed rudder trim tab

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

dstclair

Adjusting fixed rudder trim tab

Post by dstclair »

I've got myself over thinking a very simple task so thought I throw this it to the group. Somehow my fixed rudder trim tab was slightly bent during a hangar reshuffling. I readjusted the trim tab to where I thought was the original angle (which is very slight). I now seem to have developed a yawing to the left with neutral rudder.

In determining which way to bend the tab, I found the following advice from http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilder ... t%202.html:
All you have to remember is that a trim tab forces the control surface in the opposite direction from which the tab is bent.

For Example:

1. If the nose of the aircraft is yawing to the left, bend the rudder trim tab to the LEFT.

2. If the aircraft has a nose heavy condition, bend a fixed elevator trim tab DOWN.

3. If one wing is heavy, bend the trim tab on that wing UP.
So do I bend the tab to the LEFT as I'm facing the tail section or do I bend it to the LEFT as I'm looking from tip-to-tail?
dave
drseti

Re: Adjusting fixed rudder trim tab

Post by drseti »

By convention, left and right sides of aircraft, engine, or control surfaces are defined in terms of how the pilot normally sits. This is relevant, for example, in the case of pusher prop aircraft like Eddie's Sky Arrow, where what I consider the right side of my engine is actually his left side...

In your case, Dave, you'd bend the tab to the left as you're facing forward. Moving the tab left forces the rudder slightly to the right, which has the same aerodynamic effect as adding right rudder.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MovingOn

Post by MovingOn »

Last edited by MovingOn on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Without resorting to rote rules...

Just imagine what you're asking the tab to do.

If you need help holding right rudder, let's say, you'll need some sort of force to help you.

Think of the "little wing" (trim tab) as using air pressure get the "big wing" (rudder, in this case) to assist you in holding pressure, thereby alleviating you from needing to hold constant pressure.

So, left in this case.

Does that help, or just make it MORE confusing?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Oh, one more thing...

The correct way is to clamp the trim tab between two blocks of wood, to maintain a uniform "crease".

If you don't, it can end up wrinkly. Still works but less aesthetically pleasing.

And though its done all the time, it's not on the list of things an owner can do.

Seems silly, but just sayin'.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

dstclair wrote:I ... have ... a yawing to the left with neutral rudder...

1. If the nose of the aircraft is yawing to the left, bend the rudder trim tab to the LEFT...

So do I bend the tab to the LEFT as I'm facing the tail section or do I bend it to the LEFT as I'm looking from tip-to-tail?
The problem and the solution both refer to left. In both cases it is the same left, as in the pilot flies from the left seat with the instructor in the right. The left is also known as the port side.
drseti

Post by drseti »

CharlieTango wrote: The left is also known as the port side.
Because that's the side on which you store your bottle of port. The right side of the plane, therefore, is the bourbon side (or is that the gin side?)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

drseti wrote:
CharlieTango wrote: The left is also known as the port side.
Because that's the side on which you store your bottle of port. The right side of the plane, therefore, is the bourbon side (or is that the gin side?)
Cognac!
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks for the correction, Dave. I always learn so much on these forums!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
deltafox

Post by deltafox »

Reference: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/454/1569/

Arcadia Starboard Stout
Dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks, Dave - I never knew about that ASTMO rating scale before. As I said, I'm always learning something new here!
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

deltafox wrote:Reference: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/454/1569/

Arcadia Starboard Stout
You call that beer --> try Duvel at 100pts - http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/222/695/
dave
drseti

Post by drseti »

You beer connoisseurs go right ahead and debate. I'm just drinking this all in.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Oh, and before somebody rightly accuses us of thread drift, I hasten to point out that this is just what a hangar flying session sounds like at my airport. :D
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Merlinspop

Post by Merlinspop »

Point the trim tab ever so slightly toward the side that has (or would have) the red light on the wingtip. :mrgreen:
Oh, and before somebody rightly accuses us of thread drift, I hasten to point out that this is just what a hangar flying session sounds like at my airport. :D
I prefer forums that let discussions move around a little as they would if we were gathered around a BBQ grill and cooler.
- Bruce