supplemental type certificate (STC)

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

busted

supplemental type certificate (STC)

Post by busted »

Hello anybody....... how hard is it to get an STC for usuing auto gas in a certified airplane like a C-172? And could you use it for commercial use like flight training?
CharlieTango

Re: supplemental type certificate (STC)

Post by CharlieTango »

I don't think such STCs do much good anymore. My friends that have them stopped using them when ethanol was added to auto fuel.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

busted wrote:Hello anybody....... how hard is it to get an STC for usuing auto gas in a certified airplane like a C-172? And could you use it for commercial use like flight training?
Getting the STC should not be a problem. Like CT said, you need to make sure you have a good source of non ethanol fuel. You can use it for commercial use unless the STC states otherwise for some reason.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

In some parts of the country (mine), ethanol-free gas is still available.

http://pure-gas.org
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

FastEddieB wrote:In some parts of the country (mine), ethanol-free gas is still available.

http://pure-gas.org
I have access to it, but it's only 90 octane and my 912 requires 91. I could mix, but that's a hassle and then I still end up with ethanol or lead, which is worse for my CT. So I just use 93 with ethanol. :?
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
busted

Post by busted »

isn't premium ethanol free?
drseti

Post by drseti »

CharlieTango wrote: My friends that have them stopped using them when ethanol was added to auto fuel.
Both the Peterson and the EAA STCs are available for several Lycoming and Continental engines. These STCs both explicitly state that the fuel must contain no ethanol.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

busted wrote:isn't premium ethanol free?
Unfortunately, all premium 91 octane unleaded auto fuel sold in my state contains 10% ethanol, by state law.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingForFun

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
drseti

Post by drseti »

The EAA STC is just paperwork, but depending upon engine and airframe, may mandate additional requirements during a condition inspection. Not sure about the Petersen Aviation STC. And, you need STCs for both the airframe and the engine. Here's a list of what's availale from EAA:

http://www.eaa.org/autofuel/autogas/approved.asp

Line an LSA LoA, an STC is issued to a specific aircraft by s/n and registration number. Its cost is basically $1.50 per engine HP. And, since the EAA STC prohibits ethanol, they now include a free ethanol test kit with your STC order.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Typically it has less ethanol that lesser octane blends, but still has ethanol in it. We are lucky in Georgia to have access to 93 octane premium, which I have heard is usually around 5% ethanol or less.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:
Unfortunately, all premium 91 octane unleaded auto fuel sold in my state contains 10% ethanol, by state law.
They MANDATE 10%? Are you in a big corn growing state? ;)

Here in Georgia we are *allowed* up to 10% ethanol in gasoline, but there is no mandate that a certain percentage *must* be ethanol.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Alabassa

Post by Alabassa »

Hello All,
same problem in Italy.. due ethanol, I have owed to change the bowls of the carburators on my Rotax engine.