Tire Mounting, Balancing and Eliminating Shimmy--Video

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

drdehave

Tire Mounting, Balancing and Eliminating Shimmy--Video

Post by drdehave »

Hey Guys:

Here's the small airplane tire video I just cranked out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqpfFhJ ... sIcQaBCQ_A

Sorry about the bad-humor ending! (My better half said "Stop ruining your videos with that kink of crap!" But, I never listen--or learn.)

Rich
Last edited by drdehave on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
roger lee

Re: Tire Mounting, Balancing and Eliminating Shimmy--Video

Post by roger lee »

Hi Rich,

Nice well done informative video and you're absolutely right that too many don't balance their tires on their aircraft. I find all tires out of balance on aircraft so I just do them all.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Are you going to be at your hanger Sat AM? I have a wheel that needs balancing.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Fantastic training video, Rich. Thanks for your efforts, and also for providing the Harbor Freight catalog number for the wheel balancer. (Do you have their p/n for the copilot?)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Are you going to be at your hanger Sat AM? Roger that, Jim.

Do you have their p/n for the copilot? Roger that, drseti, but be advised they can be dangerous! Last year, filming what will eventually no-doubt become my most outrageous video (if I don't hurt myself, first), one blew up next to me--as I ascended from sea level to 10,500 feet on my way to Lake Tahoe. Thus, you'll need a doctor's prescription...

PS: If any of you decide to fork for one of the Harbor Freight balancers shown in the video, check first to be sure the cones that come with it (for centering to your wheel) will work with your wheels. Otherwise, you will be doing some time-consuming (and expensive) machining of cones that are are the correct size. Also, take a 20% coupon with you (widely available) and get the balancer for $40.
Last edited by drdehave on Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:Fantastic training video, Rich. Thanks for your efforts, and also for providing the Harbor Freight catalog number for the wheel balancer. (Do you have their p/n for the copilot?)
For the copilot I think you will need to shop at a different kind of store.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

If more passengers flown by LSA pilots were like Rich's co-pilot, there would be a lot less whining about the 1320# MTOW limitation in LSAs.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Post by drseti »

Rich, I just picked up that motorcycle tire balancing frame at Harbor Freight. $40 with coupon. Thanks for the heads-up. Still looking for the copilot...
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Keep you eyes open, drseti. Out here, those co-pilots are common, at freeway on-ramps, with their thumbs out...

PS: Check that axle that came with the balancer for straightness. Some folks have complained that they got a bad one--right out of the box.
drseti

Post by drseti »

drdehave wrote:Check that axle that came with the balancer for straightness. Some folks have complained that they got a bad one--right out of the box.
Thanks, Rich. Having read the reviews on the Harbor Freight website, I did check it on a surface plate, and it was true. But, the axle was about a millimeter too long, as also reported by others. A grinding wheel took care of that rather quickly.

The cones fit the bearings of both my nosewheel and mains quite well, and balancing was effortless. However, it left me with a question about tire markings. I always thought the red dot was adjacent to the light side of the tire, so should be aligned with the valve stem. Doing that with a Michelin, I found I had to add three weights 180 degrees away from the stem. Is it possible that in this case, the dot is maybe on the heavy side, and should be aligned away from the stem?

PS - right after I used a 20% off coupon to buy my balancing stand, the new AOPA Pilot arrived, with a 25% off coupon in it! So, I wasted $2.50...
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Balance marks should be heavy side of the tube and light side of the tire. Over the years I have seen a few that were not even close.
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

I don't have to worry about red dots--as the utility trailer tires I use don't have them; however, I did have to add three 1/2-ounce weights to one of the mains--which looks pretty ugly.

But it made it smooth...
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Tire mounting procedures. Complements of Desser Tire and Goodyear.
http://www.desser.com/tiremountinginfo.php