0-200 not running on 2 cylinders

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

nbjeeptj

0-200 not running on 2 cylinders

Post by nbjeeptj »

My zodiac 601xl has a 0-200 engine in it with low hrs. Just had annual completed a few weeks ago, and I have only went flying one time since then that ended quickly due to my stall warning going off and not stopping. I just circled the pattern and landed. They fixed the stall warning so today I decide to go enjoy the afternoon and during my preflight after starting my engine it was running rough and the two cylinders on the left side would not rise in temp. The EGT for the left side cylinders was cold. I would have thought a mag could have been bad but that would not be right since it would affect the top or bottom side of all cylinders. Any Idea what could cause the 2 cylinders to not run but the other 2 to act normal?
FlyingForFun

Re: 0-200 not running on 2 cylinders

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Do you have a 4 point EGT or just left and right? If it is just left /right then you could have just 1 cylinder down that has the probe. If it is just one cylinder I would guess a stuck exhaust valve. The O-200's will do that on a diet of 100LL if you don't use some kind of upper valve lubrication.
nbjeeptj

Post by nbjeeptj »

4 point and it was either 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 that was barely over the cold temp
nbjeeptj

Post by nbjeeptj »

A&P found a stuck intake lifter on Cyl #2. Only way to get lifter out is to split the case. That should be cheap!
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

A stuck intake valve will sure mess up how the engine runs, because it messes with the airflow to the other cylinders as well. Normally a stuck valve doesn't mess up the cam follower, but if it is broke the only way to get to it is by splitting the case. I had to do that on a C145 a few years ago, because an other mechanic messed up a follower.