Pilot/Owner Maintenance on a C-162

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Dennis

Pilot/Owner Maintenance on a C-162

Post by Dennis »

My C-162 POH has the following statement regarding pilot maintenance:

"Pilot Maintenance -- A current Maintenance Manual must be obtained prior to performing
any preventive maintenance to ensure that proper procedures are followed."

This maintenance manual sounds kind of expensive!

What sort of pilot/owner maintenance can I do?
1. Change oil and filter?
2. Change brake pads?
3. Change or roatate tires?

Thanks.
Dennis
FastEddieB

Re: Pilot/Owner Maintenance on a C-162

Post by FastEddieB »

Dennis,

As far as I know, you can only do what the Maintenance Manual specifically says you can do.

This was a huge hassle on my Sky Arrow - practically everything required an A & P or LSRM to accomplish - even simple things like changing the battery. Its a major reason I converted to Experimental.

In any case, you will definitely need the Maintenance Manual and then abide by its requirements.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Post by drseti »

Dennis wrote:"Pilot Maintenance -- A current Maintenance Manual must be obtained prior to performing any preventive maintenance to ensure that proper procedures are followed."
That's true of all SLSAs.
Not necessarily. Most LSA manufacturers put them on their websites, downloadable as a PDF.
That's entirely up to the manufacturer -- varies from one LSA to the next. Gotta check that maintenance manual! (I don't have Cessna's, or I'd check it for you.)

BTW, we have a maintenance forum on this site. I'm moving this thread there.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

Dennis wrote:My C-162 POH has the following statement regarding pilot maintenance:

"Pilot Maintenance -- A current Maintenance Manual must be obtained prior to performing

2. Change brake pads?

Thanks.
Dennis
Dennis, if you look at the first paragraph of the section you quoted from the POH, it tells you to refer to 14 CFR 43 for a list of maintenance operations which the pilot may perform.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

VL Roberts wrote: Dennis, if you look at the first paragraph of the section you quoted from the POH, it tells you to refer to 14 CFR 43 for a list of maintenance operations which the pilot may perform.
That is a great catch-all!

Too bad they don't all have that language!
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

A couple things, and I might be wrong on these.

I thought that ASTM required that a maintenance manual was required to be delivered with all SLSA aircraft.

The other is a manufacturer can not over write what is allowed by the FAA. An example would be the manufaturer requiring an inspection authorization to do the condition inspection or that a sport pilot is not allowed to do PM listed in 43 appendix "A" on a SLSA.
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

VL Roberts wrote:
Dennis wrote:My C-162 POH has the following statement regarding pilot maintenance:

2. Change brake pads?

Thanks.
Dennis
Dennis, if you look at the first paragraph of the section you quoted from the POH, it tells you to refer to 14 CFR 43 for a list of maintenance operations which the pilot may perform.
Thanks, VL. This is getting complicated! Maybe I'm making it more complicated than it is.

I have downloaded, read, but not fully understood, 14 CFR 43 Appendix A. The clause that has me puzzled is

(ii) The inspections and maintenance tasks are performed in accordance with instructions contained by the special inspection and preventive maintenance program approved as part of the aircraft's type design or supplemental type design.

In the engine log book would I not make this kind of entry when I change the oil filter?

"Oil filter removed and checked for particulate matter; new filter installed; engine run up and checked for leaks; none found; maintenance performed i/a/w xxx. What do I cite as "xxx"?

Or just " oil filter changed i/a/w xxx "?

I have 2 IA's on the field who will gladly help me with this, but I'd prefer not to bother them for simple tasks.

I welcome inputs from the group on this. I will also query AOPA on the matter.

Fly safely,
Dennis
Dennis

Post by Dennis »

I discussed log book entries for pilot/owner maintenance with AOPA. Tach Time, Service Performed, Pilot/Owner Name, Certificate number, Date.

Short and sweet. KISS

Dennis
drseti

Post by drseti »

One more item required by the FARs, Dennis: your signature (in addition to your printed name).

And FYI, does not apply to the C-162, but in the case of a Rotax powered aircraft, you must use Hobbs time, not tach time. (This is very clearly stated in the Rotax line maintenance manual, Section 05-10-00, page 3, paragraph 1.1, "Operating Hours" (and is generally not understood by most A&Ps).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: I thought that ASTM required that a maintenance manual was required to be delivered with all SLSA aircraft.
The maintenance manual has to exist, Tom, and be available to the end-user (usually through a PDF download). IF it has to be delivered with the aircraft (and I haven't seen this requirement), it could be that it was delivered to the Cessna dealer who received the aircraft. That doesn't mean it was necessarily passed on to the end user. :(
a manufacturer can not over write what is allowed by the FAA.
As you know, this has been much discussed within the LSRM community. The prevailing interpretation of most of the aircraft manufacturers seems to be that they cannot have policies more lenient than the FARs, but they certainly seem to think they can be more strict than the regs. And, FAA seems to be happy to allow them this latitude.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Dennis wrote: "Oil filter removed and checked for particulate matter; new filter installed; engine run up and checked for leaks; none found; maintenance performed i/a/w xxx. <snip>
Or just " oil filter changed i/a/w xxx "?
I always choose to err on the side of verbosity (of course I do -- I'm a retired professor!) So, I'd go with the former. In fact, I take it one step further, and even enter into the engine logbook the type of filter I used (e.g, "Champion CH-48102".)
What do I cite as "xxx"?
"Cessna Skycatcher maintenance manual, Rev. xx, chapter yy, page zz." I've seen too many logbook entries that stated "in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions." Too vague, IMHO (and likely to bite you in the event of an accident and NTSB investigation).
I have 2 IA's on the field who will gladly help me with this,
Please bear in mind that IAs are not required to know the SLSA rules, and they're not covered in the IA renewal classes. Here is one case where an LSRM might in fact be more knowledgeable about what applies to your Skycatcher.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Paul, why should LSA rules be covered in IA renewal classes?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Tom, if IAs were never asked to work on SLSAs, it wouldn't matter that the rules aren't covered. But notice that Dennis mentioned having two IAs on the field who he could ask -- proving that customers do approach IAs with SLSA issues, at least occasionally. So, at the very least, the IA renewal classes should mention: "the rules for SLSA, including logbook signoff language, are different from what you were taught for certified aircraft. If you do work on an SLSA, be sure you learn the regs."

This is what I try to emphasize to the IAs and A&Ps in my AMT seminars around the country.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

If IA's and A&P's are going to work on LSA they should know what is allowed and what is not. There are differences and way more times than I can count they make too many mistakes because they use only what they have learned on certificated aircraft and what they learned on Continental's and Lycoming's. Most of the serious mistakes I have seen have come from A&P's and IA's from not learning about Rotax or LSA. Many don't ever get the manual or look at SB's.
There are some good LSA A&P and IA mechanics.

As the owner of an LSA you are allowed to do the preventive maint. as listed in the FAR's. An LSA Mfg can't over ride the FAA or give away the farm as far as maint. goes.

Under documentation is far worse than over documentation. Just write down what you do with a little detail. Don't make things up, but don't just make a full inspection 3-4 lines. Just don't write IAW and no other detail. If you changed the oil, changed the filter and inspected the magnetic plug write it down. You can add that you used 3 qts. of some brand of oil,too.
Just write down what you did. You're basically just a secretary writing down what was done and it can be in any style you want.

Maint. manuals are not required to be supplied by the aircraft MFG, but most have them on line to print out.

To me writing the logbook label is the easiest part of the whole thing.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Paul, the reason I ask the question was to make a point. The training and renewal for an IA does not cover this because it is not covered by the IA privileges. I know I'm splitting hairs, but it like saying a J3 Cub is a LSA. An IA does not have the privilege to work on aircraft or do condition inspections. That privilege belongs to an A&P or LSRM if working on a ELSA, SLSA. The bigger problem is many A&P's don't do any additional training after they get the rating, and if thay got the rating before LSA aircraft became a reality then they likely no nothing about them. It is training for the A&P's that is needed.