aircraft engines or planes without a mixture control knob?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

aircraft engines or planes without a mixture control knob?

Post by N918KT »

Hey guys, here is an interesting question. Are there any aircraft piston engines 100 hp or less that do not have a mixture control knob for airplanes, but has a throttle only, besides Rotax engines?

Are there any LSAs or SP eligible airplanes that does not have a mixture control knob, but only a throttle, besides Rotax engines?

I can't think of one piston engine or airplane off the top of my head besides Rotax engines.
drseti

Re: aircraft engines or planes without a mixture control kno

Post by drseti »

The Rotax 912 series is the only carbureted engine I know that has self-compensating carbs, thus no mixture control needed. A number of high-performance engines use FADEC (full authority digital engine control) that use a single knob, no mixture control - those are all fuel injected engines. A lot of the 1930s antiques used Continental engines with no mixture control - but it was probably felt that nobody was going to fly them high enough to need to lean the mixture! :roll:

I've flown several Ercoupes that had the mixture wired to full rich, so the mixture control was essentially disabled, and you couldn't lean if you wanted to. I never quite understood that...
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Paul, what are the names of the Continental engines you mentioned that do not use mixture control?
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

Jabiru engines don't have a mixture control as they use the Bing pressure compensating carbs like the Rotax 912 and 914.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thanks Jim. I didn't know that Jabiru engines do not have a mixture control knob. What exactly are compensating carbs by the way?
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

From the Jabiru website:

"The Bing carburetor is an altitude compensating carburetor which when set for base altitude will take care of the leaning chores automatically. The carburetor accomplishes this by sensing the difference in pressure between the outside air and the engine air. A diaphram moves a jet needle to change the rate of fuel flow as pressures change and a carburetor bowl vent keeps fuel pressure in the bowl in line."
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
drseti

Post by drseti »

The Bing 64 carb used on the Rotax, and old BMW motorcycles (and, as I've just now learned, on the Jab) is a really clever design. The mixture jet needle is suspended from the middle of a round rubber diaphragm. Ambient air pressure is applied to one side of the diaphragm, so it flexes as air density changes with altitude. This raises or lowers the needle in the jet, changing the mixture as required. Works quite well up to about 10,000 feet, above which the engine does start to run a bit rich.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

N918KT wrote:Paul, what are the names of the Continental engines you mentioned that do not use mixture control?
Depending on which carb they have installed, some Continental A45, 65, 75, and 85 engines may not be equipped with a mixture control. You find this engine in a lot of 1930s designs.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thanks Paul, just another question. The Continental engines that you just mentioned. Do any of the engines need to be hand propped to start the engine or can they use an electric starter?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Most of those antiques were originally hand-propped, Kevin. But it's not so difficult to add an electrical system to them. I know of several C-65 powered Luscombes that have been modified with starters, batteries, and generators.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

Thanks Paul and Jim! That's all I need to know. Thanks for the information!
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

Bristell announced that they are going to install an UL engine from the factory, and UL build them a new engine UL318i. If anything comes out of it, Bristell is going to have an alternative to Rotax with signle-lever power control.

I'm sure that some SP-eligible experimentals must be flying around with UL260i of 97 hp.
theskunk

Post by theskunk »

I've heard that the carb on a 912 really only does a good job leaning itself out until about 6500... any higher and you end up richer than it really could be to make best power... any truth to this, and anything to be done about it?
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

The Bing on my Jab 3300 is good to about 5000' after that it runs rich. I had a Hackman mixture control put on
it and it made a world of difference in both the GPH and in EGT/CHTs. Coming back from Arizona at 9500'
I averaged 3.8gph and 120kts at 75% throttle.
Gene Mohr
Sport Pilot Upgrading to Private
180hrs and counting
CharlieTango

Post by CharlieTango »

My home field is at 7,100' and local terrain goes above 14,000 and typical destinations for me are near sea level.

The mixture has worked very well for me.