How to choose an LSA mechanic

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

ussyorktown

How to choose an LSA mechanic

Post by ussyorktown »

I wish someone knowledgeable would write HOW TO FIND A MECHANIC FOR MY LIGHT SPORT. You've got a good start. What do you ask a mechanic before you put your life into his hands?
drseti

Re: "Return to Sender' Flight Design, not Elvis this time

Post by drseti »

ussyorktown wrote:What do you ask a mechanic before you put your life into his hands?
Great question, Dan! I don't have all the answers, but as an LSA owner and a mechanic, I can come up with a few pointers.

First off, you have to realize that any A&P can legally work on any LSA. So, just asking a mechanic if he or she has the (legally required) qualifications won't get you anywhere. What you need to find is a mechanic who understands the peculiarities of LSAs, and recognizes that they're different from certified aircraft. So, I'd start by asking how many LSAs he or she has serviced, repaired, and inspected, and how many of your particular make and model. Anyone who says "none, but an airplane is an airplane" should be immediately off your list.

Some LSA manufacturers have a cadre of factory-trained (or at least factory-sanctioned) mechanics scattered around the country. If you can find someone who's taken model-specific training, great! If not, somebody who's taken the three-week LSRM course will be better equipped to deal with your plane than someone who hasn't. If a mechanic says "I'm an A&P (or IA), so I don't have to take that course," run, do not walk.

For those of us who fly behind a Rotax engine (or, in front of one, if you're Fast Eddie), recognize that these engines are very different from the traditional Lycoming or Continental. Geared engines with gearboxes, slipper clutches, dry sump, liquid cooled heads, and dual, constant-depression carburetors have maintenance requirements that I never learned at the Lycoming school in Williamsport. There are three different Rotax courses (service level, maintenance level, and heavy maintenance) that each run two or three days, that deal with the 912/914 series specifically. They are taught in a handful of locations around the country, aren't cheap, and are absolutely essential training for your selected mechanic, if you want your engine to reach TBO. Any mechanic who says "an engine is just an engine" is one to avoid.

If your plane is composite, has the mechanic taken manufacturer-specific composites repair training? Each vendor has its own process, uses its own particular epoxies, and requires a specific cure time and temperature. Lockwood aviation in Florida, for example, offers a composite repair course specifically targeted to the Flight Design. If you fly a CT (I believe you do, Dan), then you want somebody who's taken that course. (I haven't, so don't ask me to work on your airframe!) If your plane is metal, does the mechanic have the training for bonding as well as riveting? Does he or she know when to use blind rivets, and when to use solid ones? It's not always obvious without looking at the airframe maintenance manual and illustrated parts catalog.

Which brings us to documentation. The FARs and ASTM standards say that all repairs, maintenance, and inspections of any S-LSA must be performed in accordance with the manufacturer's written instructions and documented procedures. AC-43-13, which defines industry best practices for mechanics, does NOT apply to S-LSAs! Does your mechanic have current copies of the maintenance manual, repair instructions, service bulletins, safety alerts, and illustrated parts catalogs for your specific airframe and engine? If not, don't let him or her tell you that he will follow standard industry practice. They have to comply with the ASTM standards. Ask a prospective mechanic how many LOAs he or she has obtained from the manufacturer of your model aircraft, to install equipment or make modifications. Anyone who asks what an LOA is is somebody to avoid. (Hint: it's a Letter of Authorization. It is required when you install into an S-LSA anything that wasn't installed at the factory.) Unlike certified aircraft, STCs, TSOs, field approvals, and FAA Form 337s are not applicableto LSAs, so don't hire a mechanic who cites those documents.

I could go on, but I just got the dinner call. Food trumps forums.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ussyorktown

Post by ussyorktown »

Dear Honorable Moderator:
Might I humble suggest that you start a new thread on your last post.

signed,
You're humble and obedient servant,
ussyorktown
drseti

Post by drseti »

Great idea, Dan. I'll do just that.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

Re: How to choose an LSA mechanic

Post by roger lee »

Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
cornfieldflyer

Post by cornfieldflyer »

I just love how when you say you need a Mechanic people point to Rotax. My bird went in the shop last winter and it was the airframe that needed attention. Besides not everyone uses a Rotax.

I thought I would pull my hair out trying to explain EAB rules to a GA A&P and then deal with the IA. To say things got heated a few times is putting it midly. Nothing against these men, they are vern nice men whom will help you any time they can...But.....

I tried to explain for my annual I did not need an IA to sign my book just an A&P. No one would hear of this. Its not done that way in the GA world so it was not done that way in my EAB world. Then I could go into the installing of Go-Kart parts on an airplane, the IA had a real hard time with that one.

To see how much any of these men knew about EAB-LSA's I asked this question. What would happen to a certified part if I put it on my non-certified airplane?
No one said anything. I finally said, even if you do not use that certified part, if you bolt that part to a non-certified airplane that part is now non-certified. It can never be put back on a certified airplane not with out a complete tear down, case in point an engine. Take a Brand New certified engine and bolt it to a non-certified airplane, don't even start it. Now that engine is non-certified and can not be removed and installed on a certified airplane not without a complete tear down. We had a big heated discussion about this and to this day I am wrong, even though I am right.

So how does one go about finding a A&P that knows what an EAB-LSA is all about.

Now understand this is about Home-Built Non certified LSA's not the fancy 60,000-100,000 LSA's on the market. In my world everyone flies the Home built EAB-LSA's style birds.

It should read : How to choose an LSA A&P

Tony
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Tony, I don't think they were just pointing to Rotax to say that every LSA needs a Rotax mechanic. The blog on rotax-owner covers many of the complaints you had with your maintnenance experience. Like finding a mechanic who knows the rules about your aircraft. The big thing is finding someone who understands your airplane, or is willing to learn about it.
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

cornfieldflyer wrote:So how does one go about finding a A&P that knows what an EAB-LSA is all about.
EAB is easy: you just cultivate contacts with local EAA people. Dan's question is about LSA.
drseti

Post by drseti »

cornfieldflyer wrote:I just love how when you say you need a Mechanic people point to Rotax.
Tony, directing folks to the Rotax Owner site is only intended for those who fly the 85% of S-LSAs that use Rotax engines. The other 15% should of course seek a mechanic with training and experience on their particular engine (Jabiru, Lycoming, Continental, Franklin, Subaru, VW, whatever). That said, most of the mechanics in the Rotax community are comfortable working on E-AB aircraft, and know the rules. Most A&Ps are not, and do not.

I also agree with Pete, that anybody who flies an E-AB should join his or her local EAA chapter, and cultivate contacts in that community. Those folks are a wonderful resource.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US