Downward Facing External Camera Mount

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

jnmeade

Downward Facing External Camera Mount

Post by jnmeade »

I want to take some photos (stills, probably not videos) oriented mostly downward. Prefer wheels not be in the picture. I have GoPro Hero2 with remote and battery pack. Will be flown on a Flight Design CTSW Experimental which I am willing to modify, within reason.

Do you have any suggestions for the location and fastening method?

TIA
Jim Stewart

Re: Downward Facing External Camera Mount

Post by Jim Stewart »

Remove one of the plexi wing inspection plates, fab a new one out of aluminum and mount the cam to that? I'm not sure whether parts of the plane would be in the picture. You could angle it outboard some.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Tie-down would be a natural spot... solid bolt hole, far enough out to avoid wheels/gear, perfectly positioned for down view.
Could be as simple as this:
modified to fit your needs...
There are also some bolt holes on the belly, they are used to attach the "belly pod" storage accessory. I'm guessing they'd be plenty strong for the camera, too.
Tim
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Jim Stewart wrote:Remove one of the plexi wing inspection plates, fab a new one out of aluminum and mount the cam to that? I'm not sure whether parts of the plane would be in the picture. You could angle it outboard some.
Jim,
Those wing inspection plates just screw into the wing fiberglass. I think they're a little flimsy, aren't they? Granted, one could put a backing in that would hold. I'll check this out.

Tim,
Probably a good idea - I had not thought of the belly mounts. I'll check both ideas out.
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Hi Jim S.,

Those plexiglass inspection plates aren't very well secured. I have found better than half where the screw threads don't hold very well any longer and or someone has stripped them. If you attach something to these ports they will vibrate and wear out the screw holes and the screws are so close to the edge that the plexiglass will break as I have seen a few do. The most secure place on the wing is the tie down bolt. You can use it like CT4ME or take it out and buy another 10mm bolt at the hardware store. There were numerous people at the page, AZ Fly-In last year that used the suction cup. You could just about hang from these and I have never seen one fall off a CT. I have a larger aluminum camera mount that holds a still or video camera and I use the tie down point with a new longer bolt.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)