Rotax Can't Make You Go To School

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

roger lee

Mute to moot

Post by roger lee »

What mute? :wink:
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

By the way, the letter in reference is dated February 2012, so while this topic may have been talked about years ago, the specific language adopted by the FAA is pretty recent.
roger lee

In writing

Post by roger lee »

It was out in print before just not in as much detail or to the public. Carol knew about this long before the second letter. She just attached some more questions like the TBO and 100 hr. I believe the school issue was first interpreted in April 2010.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
fredg

Post by fredg »

Roger,

Thanks for the information. Rotax is smart to have the program you describe. Mechanics are smart to get and maintain certification. Owners are smart to use well-trained and qualified mechanics. The goal of making sure qualified mechanics are easily identified and readily available to owners is met (without Rotax making anything mandatory, for anyone).

Personally, I am happy that this is all driven by the market pressures (owners who want good service chose certified mechanics) and that manufacturers can't arbitrarily create new laws, which may limit owner choices.

Fred
FredG
Iowa City
ct4me

Post by ct4me »

Now we just have to educate flyers... if I had a penny for every "I heard.. from a friend who is an A&P".... usually followed by some BS lore about Rotax engines.
Tim
-----
check out CTFlier.com