Franz Oil Thermostat Availabiltiy?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

jnmeade

Franz Oil Thermostat Availabiltiy?

Post by jnmeade »

Can anyone help me locate a source for the Franz oil thermostat part number 10700? Franz lists it in Germany for €200,21 and Flight Design U.S.A. says they want roughtly $900 for it. I understand this is the oil thermostat that comes standard on the latest CTLS.
My family is in Germany now and could buy one there if I knew where to tell them to ask for it.
http://www.franz-aircraft.de/Rotax/schmiersystem-sz.htm
I don't mind paying a markup but 350% is more than I can afford.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

There will be no tariffs, import fees or other costs beyond shipping for a Rotax dealer in the UK to acquire that item...and they speak English (or an at times curious version of it) there. I'd contact Britain's Rotax distributor and see what he charges.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Thanks. Good idea. I got a reply from the German manufacturer that I can perhaps have my people buy directly, but your idea is an excellent one and I'll use it if the direct sale doesn't work.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I would check with Lockwood Aviation in Sebring FL. They are my main source of Rotax parts, and can probably do a whole lot better for you than going through Flight Design.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

Lockwood told me they'd charge me the same as FD. $900.
drseti

Post by drseti »

jnmeade wrote:Lockwood told me they'd charge me the same as FD.
Ouch!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The part is a Flight Design add on and not a Rotax.
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Jim,

Given your plane is an E-LSA, why stay with FD recommended parts? My Sting uses a PermaCool thermostat which, I think, runs about $90.
dave
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

I like the idea of the simple, clean installation. I'm not crazy about running all the hoses needed for the other thermostats I've seen. Not saying the alternatives are not good choices.