Rotax 912ULS minimum oil temp 124°

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

I'm going to add 2 EGT sensors to my SW. I'm going to look add 2 CHT sensors. Don't try to stop me! :)
Roger - you keep coming back to the idea that we should just trust the messenger and use the number. That utterly avoids my initial question which is why shouldn't we know the basis for that number or any other number?
If I want to figure out how the airplane mfr arrived at Vs0, Vs1, Vne, etc., I feel I could do that. If I want to know why a certain tire pressure, I am sure I could determine why the number is chosen. The FAA will darned sure be told if they ask, why shouldn't the dummy in the pilot seat be allowed to know?
I don't like to be told, "shut up, dummy, and do what the book says." I like to feel I have the right to know the science behind the book. I believe it makes me a better pilot and mechanic to know the "why" behind the "how".
roger lee

Rotax numbers

Post by roger lee »

You can email Rotax, but you won't get an answer. The only place is a distributor or a Rotax class. They don't take individual calls and will direct everyone to their distribution network. In that case the answer is what I posted.

Example:
Years ago I wanted to know what the oil filter by pass pressure was and no one in the US or Canada knew. Only one person and I still take his classes.

You can add up to all 4 EGT probes on the Rotax with something like a Dynon because it is set up for that, but the Rotax engine only has 2 places for a CHT probe to be installed and it will rarely change between the 1-3 or 2-4 head and that's why there isn't more CHT probe setups. Plus an EGT is far more diagnostic and telling than a CHT. The CHT only reads surrounding metal temp and not water temp. Coolant temp is usually only few degrees different as it is the metal temp that sets the surrounding coolant temp.

Know what the numbers tell you and how they are intertwined are important, but this is usually the weakest point for an owner. The new digital panels offer a lot of info, but is rarely understood.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Re: Rotax numbers

Post by drseti »

roger lee wrote:no one in the US or Canada knew. Only one person and I still take his classes.
Out of curiosity, Roger -- would that person be Dean Vogel?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

Person in the know

Post by roger lee »

Eric Tucker that teaches the Rotax classes and handles warranty claims and crash investigation. He's been doing Rotax for over 30 years and has the Rotax Safety and Flying Club.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Re: Person in the know

Post by drseti »

roger lee wrote:Eric Tucker
Thanks, Roger. Guess I should take my next Rotax refresher course from him.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

*****. All I know is, I need one of the Rotax CHT sensors, like right now, for my Sting Sport. And both Lockwood and LEAF are showing it (PN 965-531) as $195.25, but California Power Systems (closest to me) is showing it as impressively more--$273.95. (Same sensor as for oil pressure.)

Anyone bought one lately--where, and how much did you pay? I can't order until Monday, now, anyway. Thanks!

Rich
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured