Is it risky to fly an airplane after maintenance?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

N918KT

Is it risky to fly an airplane after maintenance?

Post by N918KT »

In my other thread, "Is it possible?" I made a post saying that the plane I wanted to learn to fly in is still in maintenance.

I think I heard this before but is it true that is it risky or dangerous to fly an airplane after it has been repaired, maintained, or inspected? If so, why is that the case?
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

It's always risky to fly an airplane compared to sitting on your sofa watching airplanes on TV. Is it a little more risky to fly an airplane after maintenance? Yeah, a little. That's why there are test flights and why you stay in gliding distance of the airport if there's doubt.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
artp

Re: Is it risky to fly an airplane after maintenance?

Post by artp »

For big fixes and annuals I arrange for an instructor to deliver the plane. I then fly him back to the airport the maintenance was done at.

That way I don't have to bug people for a ride to some airport only to find the plane still has problems. The test flight is done by a professional who is probably better able to handle a failure than I am. I get some instruction on the way back.
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

One of the Operational Resource Analysis conclusions of the British in WWII was indeed that the main reason for airplane maintenance problems was aircraft maintenance.
Airliners use continuing maintenance programs rather than massive downtime.
Yes, the simple answer is the most likely time to have a maintenance problem is right after maintenance.
Clamps are put on before break and not tightened after break.
Screwdriver is left in the wing.
Radio is put in the tray but not seated fully.
Cowling and ducting is damaged when removed and not repaired correctly when reinstalled.
Oil filter or plug is not torqued correctly or safety wire.
On and on.
drseti

Post by drseti »

After any major maintenance, a very thorough preflight inspection is called for, followed by an extensive run-up, taxi tests, and then a flight tight in the traffic pattern (always within glide range of the runway). I will never carry a passenger on the first flight after major maintenance. And, if I did the maintenance myself, I will do the test flight myself. Any mechanic who won't do the same obviously doesn't trust his or her workmanship, so why should I?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

I certainly agree with the general view that post-maintenance flights carry some additional risk. In fact, I did all the things Paul mentions right after an Annual Condition Inspection on the family airplane only to have the throttle linkage disconnect after two hours of flying. That left us on an uninhabited barrier island off the South Carolina coast, with a rising tide and the fishing boats gathering outside the wave break, thinking they were about to participate in a salvage operation. (It all turned out just fine, in the end). The cause of the in-flight failure was a missing cotter pin on a castellated nut buried deep in the engine compartment which, with the cowl in place, one couldn't see, and which was not on the pre-flight checklist anyway. So...put differently: Things happen and not all of them are preventable.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
roger lee

What is a MIF?

Post by roger lee »

These are called MIF's = mechanic induced failure.
I too make all my clients fly at least 3 full tight laps in the pattern at pattern altitude and at varying settings. No touch and goes, just stay up there and run the test and I'm happy to go with all of them. I treat each plane like it was my own.

HMMMMM wonder if that's a good thing. :lol:
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

I see, thanks for the explanation guys!
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

I just finished my condition inspection, so took it up for 1/2 hour and put it through it's paces - within gliding distance of something. :)
N918KT

Post by N918KT »

The 162 is still in maintenance and I have to fly the 152 again this evening. They said a cylinder broke or something.

How long does it take for a cylinder to be repaired?