Carbs leaking fuel fix

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Tad Olmsted

Carbs leaking fuel fix

Post by Tad Olmsted »

All,
According to the Rotax heavy MM there is not a repair for the carb float needle seat. During a carb overhaul the viton tip needle is inspected and usually has a ring cut into the tip where it resides in the seat. This seat is very sharp and cuts into the viton tip and after time, it lets excess fuel seap past the needle resulting in too much fuel, hard starts, poor fuel economy and fuel saturating the (CTSW) black air induction tube that drip onto the tray under the carbs. This is confirmed when the vacuum is pulled at carb overhaul and it will not hold.

Now having said that, there is not a repair for the problem according to Rotax. However, I have a way of making sure this does not occur and your needles will last.

Send me your carbs or stop in and I will make your plane run like a sowing machine.

I just did this for a new customer and his plane has never ran as good since he bought it new over 1200 hours ago.
Tad Olmsted
Director of Maintenence
2073 US HWY 92 KGIF
863-446-3001 cell
[email protected]
AP 3352190 IA, Rotax Heavy Certified

DEPENDABILITY... the certainty of proper performance of duty