Voltage Regulator Failure Mode (deja vu)

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

FastEddieB

Voltage Regulator Failure Mode (deja vu)

Post by FastEddieB »

A few weeks ago I started my Sky Arrow for a trip to Knoxville and the VOLTAGE light stayed on at my normal 2,200 rpm or so after engine startup. However it went out and stayed out after I goosed it to about 3,000 rpm, and it stayed in normal mode for the trip up and back to Knoxville.

Yesterday, I went to fly with Karen to Dalton, GA and after engine start the light just stayed on - drat!

This happened once before, details here: http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php ... +regulator

I'm going over to the hangar today to troubleshoot connections and grounds. If that fails I have a spare voltage regulator I'll try. Its the stock Ducati part. At least its far easier to access after my aforementioned relocation of the voltage relay.

Do I remember that someone is making a more reliable replacement? I tried Googling and could not find anything (though a prior thread in another forum was the first Google hit!).

If its not one thing...
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Hi Eddie,

I'm not saying the reg/rec never goes bad, but they are pretty reliable and failures are few. It is usually a bad connection or broken wire. While your looking for a bad connection make sure you pull on each wire going into the reg to make sure it is seated and locked in place.It is a common problem when anyone has disconnected the reg. at some earlier time.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Post by drseti »

Eddie, I've had similar indications that turned out to be the wiring, not the regulator. There's a plastic block into which the wires insert (with blade type crimp-ons, if I recall correctly), and then the whole block plugs into the edge of the regulator. Remove the connector block, and carefully clean each of the connectors (both sides). Mine was packed with clear silicon grease, which needed to be cleaned up before reliable contact could be made.

Good luck!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Follow up.

I started the plane to verify the problem was still there - it was.

I pulled the cowling, removed the voltage regulator and applied some Stabilant-22 to the lugs. Reassembled and I was back in business.

Still, I pulled the plug again and cleaned up the lugs and ran some sandpaper into the plug sockets and then sprayed some contact cleaner in.

The only thing suspicious is what looks like a small burned area on one of the lugs:

Is there an easy way to tighten up the sockets? I'm thinking it may be a slightly loose fit that keeps causing this to recur.

Again, its always something
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

This is a common problem on the Sting Sport and Evektor Sportstar LSAs, using the Ducati regulator. On my Sting, I have had the problem at least 5 times in 500 hours. Every time, it has proved to be the bad wire connections at the bottom. I now carry emory cloth and a small set of files in my tool kit--to dress up those connections, out on the road (errrr I mean in the Air!). So far, the bad connection issue has been restricted to the two large wires on the left side. Another trick, after you "dress" these contacts up (making sure all "arching" is filed away) to make them flat and tight, is to slightly crimp down the female spadefoot, to make it fit tighter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

On a side note, the previous owner of my Sting put on THREE new Regulators, chasing the same bad connector problem. I believe the issue develops on these airplanes due to excessive heating and cooling, which loosens the connector fit over time.--RD :roll: :roll: :roll:
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured