Rotax Rubber hose replacement and why it's needed

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

roger lee

Rotax Rubber hose replacement and why it's needed

Post by roger lee »

The Rotax 5 year rubber replacement program has good intentions and a solid past of problems of owners who failed to heed this requirement and its warnings to do the right thing and be safe. Can a hose last longer? Sure they can, but you don't know when it will fail and who you might injure when it does. The idea is to give you a safety margin to protect you, your passengers and the people on the ground.
Here is a video of a piece of fuel hose off a Rotax engine. The hose is 6.5 years old and was not altered in any way.
Change your hoses so you don't show up on America's Funniest Video show hanging upside down in a tree yelling for help out your window.

Video:
http://youtu.be/AdlKl9hSwHw
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Post by drseti »

That's a very dramatic demonstration, Roger. My rubber replacement kit is all but in-hand (Art Tarola has it ready for me to pick up), so I will be doing the swap right after Sebring - it's due in February.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

Fuel hose leak

Post by roger lee »

That could just as easily be an oil hose leak. Fry one $20K engine.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)