NEW STYLE FUEL PUMP ON A REMOS G3/600

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

bitten192

NEW STYLE FUEL PUMP ON A REMOS G3/600

Post by bitten192 »

I just replaced my old AC Fuel Pump with the new style Italian pump. The oil cooler mounting bracket had to have a few mm ground off the top to fit on the lower pump bolt. Also, the Italians left very little clearance to tighten the lower bolt. Have to grind down a 13mm crowfoot and use a small torque wrench to do the job. Don't forget to adjust the torque valve to compensate for the extra lenght of the crowfoot.

By the way, Nick at REMOS Arkansas emailed me that I need an LOA to put the new pump on since it involves mounting the gas drain tube onto the oil cooler bracket. I think REMOS owes us a change to the REMOS Maintenance Manual instead of issuing each owner an LOA since all 912s will eventually need to put on this pump. If they insist on an LOA I think it should be "no charge".

Ernie
roger lee

Factory fuel pump

Post by roger lee »

Hi Ernie,

I don't see why Remos would need or want an LOA. Remos says to follow the Rotax manuals and SB's. This is a required change from Rotax when you need a new pump and all new engines have had these installed right from the factory for a while. I would bet the FAA would say since all this is true and Remos says to adhere to what Rotax says in the manual and SB's that you do not need an LOA. It is considered a factory part with a factory part number. I also agree that Remos knowing about the required new pump and drain line needs to issue an SB of their own stating it is okay and even how to mount the drain line. It may be worth another call from you and nicely mention that they should do so. I called them a few years ago about some manual wording and being in conflict with the FAA and they had it changed in a day and posted.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
bitten192

Re: NEW STYLE FUEL PUMP ON A REMOS G3/600

Post by bitten192 »

bitten192 wrote:I just replaced my old AC Fuel Pump with the new style Italian pump. The oil cooler mounting bracket had to have a few mm ground off the top to fit on the lower pump bolt. Also, the Italians left very little clearance to tighten the lower bolt. Have to grind down a 13mm crowfoot and use a small torque wrench to do the job. Don't forget to adjust the torque valve to compensate for the extra lenght of the crowfoot.

By the way, Nick at REMOS Arkansas emailed me that I need an LOA to put the new pump on since it involves mounting the gas drain tube onto the oil cooler bracket. I think REMOS owes us a change to the REMOS Maintenance Manual instead of issuing each owner an LOA since all 912s will eventually need to put on this pump. If they insist on an LOA I think it should be "no charge".

Ernie
It's interesting that other REMOS owners or mechanics havn't commented on this. Am I the first to install the new style fuel pump on a REMOS? Have the others gotten an LOA? (fess up :oops: ). Where /how did you route the drain tube? I routed it using tie wraps via the engine support frame (avoiding hot places like exhaust pipe etc) to the same spot that the carb tray drain tubes go (lower right firewall).

What say you other guys?

Ernie
gmohr

Post by gmohr »

We have not replaced this on our 06 G3. We are currently undergoing the
mandatory 5yr Rotax Rubber replacement as well as annual. Well, we will
be if the rain stops and we can get the plane over to the mechanic.
Gene Mohr
Sport Pilot Upgrading to Private
180hrs and counting
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

I sent this message to REMOS vis the ROPA (Remos Owners and Pilots Assn) message board...

"To: Christian Majunke,

I have to install a new fuel pump in my REMOS G3 because the old pump leaked. I was informed by Nick Williams that this would require an LOA and cost me $200 since drain line routing instructions were required. My position is that all REMOS aircraft that have the old style pump installed will require the new style pump eventually, so REMOS should provide blanket instructions to all REMOS owners at no cost or amend the Maintenance manual to provide instructions. By the way, CT allows installation of the new style pump with no LOA since the instructions in ROTAX SI-912-020 R5are sufficient. What say you? Ernie Bitten, owner N192RA, REMOS G3/600."

Any comments from REMOS owners?
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

bitten192 wrote:I sent this message to REMOS vis the ROPA (Remos Owners and Pilots Assn) message board...

"To: Christian Majunke,

I have to install a new fuel pump in my REMOS G3 because the old pump leaked. I was informed by Nick Williams that this would require an LOA and cost me $200 since drain line routing instructions were required. My position is that all REMOS aircraft that have the old style pump installed will require the new style pump eventually, so REMOS should provide blanket instructions to all REMOS owners at no cost or amend the Maintenance manual to provide instructions. By the way, CT allows installation of the new style pump with no LOA since the instructions in ROTAX SI-912-020 R5are sufficient. What say you? Ernie Bitten, owner N192RA, REMOS G3/600."

Any comments from REMOS owners?
My response from Remos..."

From: Christian Majunke;Ernie. ROTAX has changed the supplier of the mechanic fuel pump installed on the engine gearbox. There have been multiple reasons for them to go that way, on was reliability and lifetime of the fuel pump. The new fuel pump is released by ROTAX as per Service Instruction SI-912-020. This service instruction only releases the fuel pump itself, but not the installation of the pump/engine combination in the aircraft. The statement of Compliance that we issue with each aircraft is the master document for the certification of the aircraft and the aircraft includes the engine. So we are forced to approve the installation of the pump onto the aircraft, especially as there is an additional hose to install. This is not only our interpretation of the regulations, but also the way the authorities (both FAA and EASA) interpret it. If FlightDesign as a different opinion they are free to do so, we at REMOS will not speak against the opinion of an authority. Call it “cover y. a.” but we will not change our procedure.

The paperwork required is not for free. Yes, we charge 150EUR for that. And no, we do not earn money with that, because that amount just equals our internal costs and the time required. But I can assure you: our experience showed that if we do the paperwork incl. repair instructions on our own with a standardized procedure it is way cheaper for the customer than if you compare the individual paperwork by a Part 145 repair shop on a standard airplane. Remember: there is no additional paperwork needed than issued by us. None of the paperwork of a Part 145 repair station is required.

The installation is not mandatory by ROTAX. Nobody is forced to exchange a properly working fuel pump! SI-912-020 just RELEASES the fuel pump, but does not REQUIRES the exchange of the pump. There is no other release of a Service Bulletin, Safety Alert or other documents by ROTAX or REMOS concerning the fuel pump. Everyone exchanging the fuel pump is doing that on own will. If it is not broken – don’t fix it!

Cheers, Goodbye and Keep ‘em flying.
Christian Majunke
"

Can you believe this BS? Remind me to by a CT next time.

Ernie
roger lee

New Pump

Post by roger lee »

Hi Ernie,

If Remos has stated in their manuals to follow the Rotax manuals for maint and or SB's then you are covered and they are wrong if they want to charge for an LOA for the new pump. The old pump is not made for Rotax any more and it is a Rotas required part if you do a replacement because a failure of the old pump. Once Remos said follow the Rotax manuals and SB's then it was a done deal because that is exactly what you are doing. You do not need an LOA for every single little part, screw or torque change that Rotax puts out because Remos says to follow what Rotax says. You are right that Remos should step up to the plate here and post a document for the new drain hose routing. The reason FD doesn't need to issue an LOA is the same reason Remos doesn't have to. They say to follow the Rotax manuals. As Remos stated in their post they are forced to approve it whether they want to or not. It would be foolish on their part to imply they wouldn't approve such a thing and only did because they were forced. Did they think nobody would ever fly a Remos again if the old pump died. If you apply a little loose language from the SB that says to route the drain hose away from certain areas for mounting then it could be construed it is covered as well.

It also seems in their post they may have slightly misunderstood and thinks you want to replace your pump just to do it and not because you had a failure?
I think Remos stepped on their tongue a little.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

Thanks Roger. They knew I had a failure (happened in Oct in Monument valley). I sent them an email saying I replaced the pump IAW ROTAX maint manual and SI 912 020 and told them that the email was my letter of compliance to REMOS.
roger lee

LOA for pump

Post by roger lee »

Hi Ernie,

Rotax doesn't even list the old pump number to order any more so the replacement part is almost an automatic.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

Thanks for the tip. I just added this to the ROPA (Facebook) discussion...

ROTAX does not list the old style pump number any more. One has no choice but to buy the new style pump. It is unreasonable and bad business to charge each REMOS owner $200 to replace a known defective part. REMOS's paperwork costs is their cost of doing business. REMOS should revise the Maintenance Manual to explain the cooler bracket mods and the drain tube routing for the new ROTAX part. ..

Ernie
drseti

Post by drseti »

bitten192 wrote:REMOS should revise the Maintenance Manual to explain the cooler bracket mods and the drain tube routing for the new ROTAX part.
I agree completely, Ernie. However, should and will are two entirely different things. :(

I consider myself lucky. Evektor has never charged me for an LOA, and they are very responsive whenever I ask for one.

I met Milan Bristela (designer of the new Bristell; previously involved with the SportStar, Sport Cruiser, and PiperSport) at Sebring, and asked him how he's going to handle LOAs. He assured me that they would be free, and forthcoming when reasonable requests are made. (My guess is that he's heard how Remos handles this.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Threads like this remind me of two things...

1) I'm SO glad I went EXPERIMENTAL!

2) And we wonder what's wrong with General Aviation.

Sigh.

Back on point - with 260 hours on my 2007 fuel pump, would a preemptory replacement be wise? I mean, how problematic is the old style pump? And how expensive are they if I just wanted to have a spare on hand?
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

REMOS emailed the LOA/LOC and procedure to me this morning. I did not give them any $$. Thank you social network. I shall get off my soap box. Good luck to the rest of you REMOS folks.

Ernie