CPS sold to Aircraft Spruce

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

roger lee

CPS sold to Aircraft Spruce

Post by roger lee »

I was sworn to secrecy, but it looks like CPS has made an official announcement. This may be interesting for a while.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear CPS Customers;

As of November 4, 2011 California Power Systems has been sold to Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co. of Corona, CA. who will become the West Coast Rotax Service Center, an exclusive relationship that CPS has held since 1984.

We would like to thank the thousands of customers around the world that have made CPS their choice for Light Sport and Ultralight parts and service.

Every effort will be made to track and fulfill all orders placed with CPS thru Thursday, November 3, 2011.

Sincerely Yours,

Mike Stratman

CPS President

For products and services contact:

Aircraft Spruce & Specialty

225 Airport Road

Corona, Ca 92880

Phone: 1-877-477-7823
www.aircraftspruce.com
Last edited by roger lee on Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Post by drseti »

I took my Rotax Maintenance-level course from Mike at CPS Hayward, and was planning on doing the Heavy Maintenance course there next. I wonder if Aircraft Spruce is now going to be offering those courses? If not, I guess I'll have to do future ones with Dean at Lockwood Aviation in Sebring...
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Isn't THAT interesting news! Thanks for the heads up, Roger. Depending on the seller's circumstances and the conditions of the sale, this might be a vote of confidence in the eventual growth of the Light Sport industry in the U.S. And of course, the biz from the ongoing installed base.[/i]
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
roger lee

Rotax Courses

Post by roger lee »

To be a Rotax distributor Rotax has some requirements. You will still have Rotax courses, but they will be down in Corona, CA and not up north in the San Leandro area. There may be a few other benefits, too. I think the next ones will be around Feb., but that's a wait and see. Aircraft Spruce will take a little time to get their feet firmly on the ground. I think tech support may suffer for the short term, but it's a wait and see too.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
LSASPRUCE

CPS Customers

Post by LSASPRUCE »

Dear CPS Customers,

Many of you have read Mike Stratman's posting regarding the recent sale of California Power Systems. Irwin International Inc, which owns Aircraft Spruce, purchased CPS from Mike Stratman and CPS has now moved from San Leandro to Corona, CA. CPS will be housed in the same building as Aircraft Spruce, but will be operated as a separate division. Mike Stratman will be working at the Corona facility for a number of weeks to insure a smooth transition. CPS will be setting up a Rotax maintenance and overhaul facility soon, and will continue to offer Rotax Maintenance level courses.

We are glad to have the opportunity to acquire CPS and continue the tradition of good service to the Light Sport and Ultralight community that CPS has provided since 1984. CPS can be contacted at 1-800-AIRWOLF (1-800-247-9653) or (951)549-7786.

Best Regards,

Jim Irwin
President
California Power Systems
CPS
comperini

Post by comperini »

Well, this explains why I have several things on backorder from CPS, and why my e-mails to them remain unanswered. I suppose my order is officially "lost"?
- Bob
Commercial pilot, CFI, DPE, Light Sport Repairman/Maintenance
http://www.sportpilotinstructor.com
LSASPRUCE

CPS

Post by LSASPRUCE »

Bob,
All orders are being processed during the transition period. Could you please email us your contact info and order detail to [email protected]?? I will then be able to have our customer service department follow up with you immediately.
Thank you
Desiree
CPS
comperini

Post by comperini »

I did email that info several days ago, but will do it again. thanks!
- Bob
cogito

Post by cogito »

Anybody else impacted by Spruce's difficulty digesting CPS? I've had an order unfilled there for nearly two months (repeated calls and visits.) I like the people there and I'm sure they'll get around to understanding rotax eventually, in the meantime I just placed an order with Lockwood even though I live a 25 min flight from Spruce.
comperini

Post by comperini »

Yes I have been impacted. Simple parts have been back ordered since early November. Several calls, with promises to ship, but I'm still waiting.
- Bob
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

comperini wrote:Yes I have been impacted. Simple parts have been back ordered since early November. Several calls, with promises to ship, but I'm still waiting.
Same here. They kept telling me they had the part (new fuel pump) but did not. I cancelled my order and went someplace else.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I opted to take the cautious approach. As soon as I learned about the acquisition, I started ordering exclusively through Lockwood. I'll go back to CPS as soon as I hear they have all the bugs out of their system! :wink:
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

Spruce

Post by roger lee »

CPS / Spruce has many parts on order and did so as soon as the deal had closed. They will stock more than the old CPS used to carry. Spruce is definitely stepping up to the plate on this. It will take a little time, but they are coming on strong.
Last edited by roger lee on Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
comperini

Post by comperini »

In my case, my customer ordered generic stuff... not even Rotax parts. These were ordered in Early November from CPS, about 5 days before they publicly announced the sale. Of course, only part of my order was shipped. The rest of the stuff was backordered. Then, in mid-December, Mike Stratman said "our servers are down" while they re-located them to Corona. We were told items would ship Dec 30. Today, we're now told items won't ship until the end of Janaury. During today's phone call, we find out that they also screwed up the billing/shipping address, and my customer was charged twice for a few items (about $150).

Yeah, I'm sure they'll get it worked out one of these days... in the mean time, had I known we'd have these hassles, and that this transition would have been so screwed up, we wouldn't even have placed the original order.
- Bob
LSASPRUCE

CPS Customers

Post by LSASPRUCE »

We noticed the recent postings regarding delays in shipment of some orders from CPS since we acquired the company in November. CPS is currently shipping all in stock orders the same day orders are placed by phone or online. We have experienced some delays and backorders due to many parts being out of stock when we acquired CPS, and we are still waiting to receive these parts due to long lead times. We are working hard to expedite all our of stock products and apologize to CPS customers who have been impacted by these backorders. Our goal at CPS is same day shipment of every order placed, and we are gaining ground every day.

If you have a question or concern about any particular order, please email us at [email protected].

Jim Irwin
President
CPS
CPS