Fuel/Oil mix??

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

bitten192

Fuel/Oil mix??

Post by bitten192 »

I have a REMOS G3/ Rotax 912ULS. On a long cc I noticed a fluid stream along the left side of the cowl and assumed I over filled the oil resv. Later I noticed it had a blue-green tint to it. I removed the cowling and could smell av-gas around the fuel pump. The fuel pump did not have noticeable leaks but I think I might be a getting fuel/oil leak.

How do I verify this and do I need a new fuel pump. I have an “AC” pump.
roger lee

Leak

Post by roger lee »

Hi Ernie,

You may have a leaky carb bowl gasket. Look in the drip tray and see if you have any fuel or staining in the tray. More common than most know, but they never notice it. If you had a fuel pump leak on your plane it usually shows up on the cooling air intake tube just below the fuel pump. It will leave a stain.

let me know.

p.s.
Shame on you, wrong forum :)
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
bitten192

Post by bitten192 »

Thanks for the reply Roger. I posted this here because a I have a REMOS and my engine configuration is a little bit different from the Flight Design. Besides, I KNEW you would be watchibg this forum :D .

Fuel leak was not the carb bowls. I turned on my electectric fuel pump with the engine shut down and got a steady drip (1 per second) from the mechanic fuel pump (coming from the hole in the bottom of the AC pump). Could not identify this with the engine running.

Interesting. I noticed it after we landed at Monument Valley. There was what looked like an oil streak down the left cowl where the top and bottom cowls join. It looked and felt like oil. (Monument Valley is NOT a GREAT PLACE to discover an oil leak). I attributed it to over filling the oil resv. in Page that morning. Later, as the trip progressed, the streak kept showing up but gradually turned blue. The gas that was leaking was getting more blue in color as I used AVGAS instead of MOGAS.

So I'll order a new fuel pump and get on with it. Thanks again for your help.

Ernie