Cost to overhaul a 912?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

newamiga

Re: Cost to overhaul a 912?

Post by newamiga »

I had a complete rebuild of my carbs at about 310 hours. It was interesting to see how cracked and dried out some of the parts were when removed. The largest issue we found, and not something I expected was a crack in one of the floats. It was touch to tell if it was just a crack that was there and exacerbated by the fuel over time or what but it was cracked. That was on a pair of carbs that were about 4 years since new on the engine.

Carl
Private Pilot and RV-12 Builder
designrs

Post by designrs »

Makes me really think realistically about buying a low-time used aircraft. Lots of rubber parts to replace!
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Mine will probably get done in March - about 400 hours and almost 7 years.

I've rebuilt the same carb on a BMW, and it's not that hard. Still, I'll either have a pro do it or be looking over my shoulder.

Note: both the float bowl corrosion and the split float should have been caught with regular maintenance - the bowls should come off for inspection at annual inspections.

At least my Sky Arrow checklist calls for such.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

Yeah I agree, the bowls had been dropped at least three times previously and inspected and those cracks never found.

Carl
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Those floats used to be foam, and could become saturated without being obvious.

The hollow kind should, of course, be inspected. Part of that for me is shaking them - if a tiny crack is allowing seepage, you should be able to hear/feel it.

Usually.

I think.
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

First off the carbs don't get rebuilt in the field, that can only be done by the manufacturer. They can be overhauled in the field.
There have been mechanics raked over the coals because of signing something off as rebuilt.
There is a 200 hour inspection on the carbs, and Rotax says anytime something is taken apart you should replace the seals or gaskets.
The diaphragms should be replaced during the 5 year rubber replacement.
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

I rebuild lots of Rotax / Bing carbs a year. If you need verbal help or service let me know. I have a 1 day turn around if you send me carbs. Other than the carb body they'll be brand new when you get them back for years of service.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
newamiga

Post by newamiga »

I think it may be a semantics issue. Note that the parts suppliers refer to the parts as a rebuild kit. http://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/rtxpag ... ANGUAGE=es

I get that it is an overhaul for all intents and purposes. The good news is the engine ran better after the carbs being overhauled.

Carl
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I may just use Roger for my BING overhauls...

...if he can guarantee they won't end up being used as chew toys!
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

newamiga wrote:I think it may be a semantics issue. Note that the parts suppliers refer to the parts as a rebuild kit. http://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/rtxpag ... ANGUAGE=es

I get that it is an overhaul for all intents and purposes. The good news is the engine ran better after the carbs being overhauled.

Carl
It is not semantics it is a regulatory issue. CFR part 43.3 says who can rebuild something, and the privilege is only given to the manufacturer. The incorrect wording in a logbook sign off has led to more than one mechanic having issues with the FAA.
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Hi Eddie,

Loki isn't into carbs any more, too many carbs in his diet. He now prefers reg/rec. He likes that jolt when he just gets up. LOL

I do lots of carbs a year. They have become a specialty.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
designrs

Re: Carb Rebuild

Post by designrs »

Last edited by designrs on Mon May 23, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Can anyone please provide a guesstimate of the cost of a new 912ULS in 3 years?
Cost to remove old TBO motor and install new?
Thanks!
drseti

Post by drseti »

Price fluctuates with the Euro exchange rate, Richard, but I'd budget $20k for a new engine, installation, and shipping. You may get a couple of kilobucks back for the core, if it's in reasonable condition, as long as you ship it back to the factory (in the same crate they send you the new one in), accompanied by the original engine logbook.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

I was thinking to sell the TBO motor at 2,000 hours for $9k to an experimental builder or operator.
Does that seem easily doable?