Who can do What to Whom?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Who can do What to Whom?

Post by drseti »

I see from other threads on this forum that there's a lot of confusion about what kind of certificate is required to do what kind of maintenance on various kinds of aircraft. I addressed this issue in a recent FAASTeam safety seminar, and have put together a matrix that might be of interest to sport pilots and LSA owners. It shows what kind of certificate is required to do four different kinds of service (preventive maintenance, minor repair, major repair, and condition inspections) on four different kinds of aircraft (S-LSA, E-LSA, Experimental-Amateur Built, and Sport Pilot eligible certified aircraft). The different kinds of certification included are A&P, IA, LSRM, builder with repairman certificate, and owner/operator.

The matrix, which is as accurate as my limited understanding will allow, is on my website at http://avsport.org/pwrpoint/LSA%20Maint ... matrix.pdf. Note the four footnotes which restrict privileges otherwise granted. I welcome input, corrections, and discussion.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

maint. Techs

Post by roger lee »

Hi Paul,

You need a #5.
It's all correct one caveat. It's actually a big thing. In the SLSA group the manual must state who can work on the aircraft. It can not just say an LSRM-A or higher certificate. There is no such thing as a higher certificate in the maint. mechanics world (Flight Design did this and had to correct it). It can't just say an A&P or that deals out the LSRM-A (Remos did this at first then corrected it). I went through this with a couple of SLSA Mfg's and they had to change it after they knew it was confirmed through the FAA. It must state each qualified person. So if you own an SLSA it is what ever the specific writing spells out for a mechanic in the manual.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)